New brand and website. CornerJob in acquisition talks with Eurofirms. The growth of Biz. Brexit and Spanish fintech startups.
September 2, 2019 • Issue #180
Esta semana te traigo la mejor solución para superar septiembre. Si la vuelta a la rutina te va a dejar sin tiempo para cocinar pero sigues queriendo comer bien, ¡no tienes excusa! Wetaca te lleva la comida para toda la semana.
Cocinan sin conservantes ni aditivos, para que tú puedas disfrutar de sus platos de cuchara tradicionales, pescados frescos, currys indios, pastas italianas y una línea 100% vegetal.
Elige tu menú para la próxima semana antes del miércoles a las 23:59h y llévate 12€ de regalo en tu primer pedido con el código DEALFLOW12. Pedido mínimo 22€.
I've got news 😊
- Hi! This is the new design, branding and website of what used to be Novobrief's newsletter. You'll continue to find the same type of news and format, but with a slight dose of visual changes. To learn more about the changes, read this.
Startup funding news 💸
- El Pais looked at the pros and cons of building a startup outside of Spain's main cities. The article mostly focuses on how these entrepreneurs and startups can look for funding and what investors are doing to find them
- Barcelona-based Polaroo raised €500,000 from Didac Lee, Carlos Pierre and Plug and Play
M&A activity 🎊
- According to Expansion, Spanish HR company Eurofirms is about to buy CornerJob, the Barcelona-based job matching platform. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. CornerJob lost €10 million in 2018 and has raised more than $57 million to date
Investor & accelerator news 🚀
- Lanzadera and Facsa to launch a specific program aimed at startups working on solutions related to water processing
- Bankia to open a space for Spanish and international fintech startups in Madrid, similar to the one it has in Valencia. The space will offer support to a limited number of startups per batch
- In a tweet, Martin Varsavsky disclosed that he's an investor in cannabis tampon company Daye
Startup news 💡
If you don't feel like cooking after the holidays, you should take a look at Wetaca. The Madrid-based company has some delicious meals and fair prices. Get a €12 discount in your first order with them by using the code DEALFLOW12
- Techstars Detroit announced first class of mobility startups after major refocus. The list of companies includes Barcelona-based Unlimited Engineering
- In a tweet, Kibo Ventures' Aquilino Peña said that adtech startup Tappx reached €20 million in sales and profitability, while only raising €600,000
- What fintech startups such as Kantox and Ebury, both registered in the UK, plan to do in the case of a hard brexit
- El Pais profiled Elisa Hernando, art expert and now founder of RedCollectors.com, a platform that allows individuals to invest in art
- Cinco Días wrote a profile of Mifarma, the online pharmacy that expects to sell €48 million worth of goods this year. The company says that it will spend €3 million in a new distribution centre to help its international expansion
- Indexa Capital announced that it has more than 10,000 clients
- Popular Spanish forum, Forocoches, reached €1.5 million in sales last year
- Galician startup Docuten selected by the EU for a program aimed at increasing the use of electronic invoicing and signature services among companies
- HumanIT Care is a Barcelona-based startup that has built a system to gather patient data from sensors and other sources to make its consumption by doctors easier. The company expects to reach €1 million in sales this year
- El Referente profiled a bunch of startups: Hotelinking, E thicHub, Farmytech, Sp Control Technologies, Ordatic, Bookker, ForMarketer, Finteca, DiHola, SAALG Geomechanics, Worpinion
Streamloots is a Valencia-based startup that was born in Silicon Valley and that has developed a unique way for streamers to interact with their fans and increase their revenue.
Streamloots is hiring a Front End developer (React). If you are a passionate software developer, you take pride in choosing the best technical solution and you care about the product you’re building, this is your team! You will get involved early in the Product Design process, meaning you will make an impact on helping to decide what we build and how we build it. You can read more and apply here.
Big company news 🏦
- Bizum continues its growth. The baking payments platform will add German neobank N26 to its repertoire and expects to integrate with large ecommerce services such as Carrefour, Mercadona or El Corte Ingles. More than 4 million people used Bizum in the first six months of 2019
- Telefonica has shut down 25% of its subsidiaries since 2016. This time it closed its German big data subsidiary. The company also announced last week that it had sold its advertising subsidiary, at a loss of €8 million
- How Spain became a case study for the global streaming wars: Hollywood Reporter published an overview of the Spanish streaming sector
Interesting reads 🤓
- David Marcus (The Venture City): 'There’s still room for innovation in marketplaces: How StockX and Goat built billion dollar businesses by removing friction in the sneaker category'
- Cayetana Hurtado (Balderton Capital): 'The subtle art of (not) understanding Gen Z'
- Ignacio Alvarez (OnTruck): 'Capturing SSL traffic from an Android APK'
Podcasts of the week 🎧
- En.digital interviewed Miguel Angel Diaz Ferreira, founder and CEO of RedKaraoke
- Itnig put together a round table about the topic of CFOs with Paack, Vilynx and Exoticca
- Delvy interviewed Oscar Valledor, CEO of Project Lobster