Mitiga raised $14m. IsEazy acquired for €100m. Typeform goes AI.
May 22, 2023 • Issue #371
No te pierdas AWS Startup Academy: Ventajas de construir un data lake serverless para analytics y Business Intelligence
Si tu startup está utilizando bases de datos de producción para análisis y procesos de BI, es probable que estés sobreaprovisionando estas bases de datos transaccionales, aumentando los costos de infraestructura. Además, probablemente las consultas de análisis estén afectando de manera negativa la experiencia de sus usuarios.
Durante este evento, estudiaremos los beneficios de desacoplar BBDD de producción de todas las transacciones de BI y análisis, usando un lago de datos serverless. También veremos cómo crear esta configuración en AWS utilizando herramientas serverless como S3, Glue, Athena y QuickSight.
Las plazas son limitadas, reserva la tuya ahora.
Startup funding news 💸
- Barcelona-based climate risk startup Mitiga raised $14.4m, led by Kibo Ventures. Microsoft Climate Innovation Fund also participated in the round, its first investment ever in Spain. The company takes a data-heavy, physics-based approach to predicting climate-driven risks. The Techcrunch article offers a pretty in-depth description of what the company does. More info here
- Castellon-based SaaS startup Fourvenues raised €6.5m, led by US firm Base10. Itnig interviewed Alberto Centeno, co-founder of the company
- Barcelona-based fintech startup Orain raised €3m co-led by Bonsai and Andbank
- Elche-based Oscillum raised €1.5m from CDTI
- Other rounds of funding: Rice in Action, Naria, Nailted, Foliume, SoyLuzIA
- Startups looking for funding: Supervecina.com, Pamipe
M&A activity 🎊
- ProA acquired e-learning company IsEazy for €100m. The company provides educational services to employees of corporations and claims to work with 8 out of 10 IBEX 35 companies. IsEazy had sales of €17m. As a result of the transaction, ProA will own 70% of the company and the remaining will be in the hands of its founders
- Indexa Capital named two independent directors (both women) as it nears its IPO
Investor & accelerator news 🚀
- BeAble 's new €50m fund to invest in "science equity" and deep tech projects is now live
- Samaipata led a €7m round in Dublin-based startup Nory. The company uses AI to help restaurants manage their workflow. Jose del Barrio wrote about the deal here
Startup news 💡
Don't miss AWS Startup Academy: Benefits of Building a Serverless Data Lake for Analytics and Business Intelligence !
- Motorbike sharing company Cooltra expects to reach €50m in sales this year. Last year it did €47m (+48% YoY vs. 2021) with €5.2m of EBITDA. On top of its B2C model that allows consumers to rent on-demand motorbikes across several cities, Cooltra also offers a B2B product for restaurants, public institutions and governments. Cooltra is active in 7 countries and has 500 employees
- Carlos Pierre, CEO and co-founder of room rental marketplace Badi, published a post on the history and current situation of the company. Badi started as a "Tinder to find roommates" and quickly scaled to millions of users thanks to more than €45m in funding As the first monetization plans were being implemented, covid started and the business stopped. Carlos explains in the post that now they operate a profitable business in Badi Platform -a vertically integrated room rental solution- and that he reached an agreement with investors to get 80% of the equity they controlled back. As a result, all previous investors own a combined 20% of the business, with the remaining belonging to founders. Quite a story
- Typeform announced 'Formless' a new form builder powered by AI and GPT4 that can "build a form in minutes and aggregate data based on a brief description provided by the creator". Formless is the third product out of Typeform Labs, a sort of division that works on innovative projects led by co-founder David Okuniev
- LuzIA is a new startup co-founded by Javier Andres (Ticketea, sold to eventbrite) Alvaro Martinez and Carlos Pérez that offers, among other things, a sort of ChatGPT experience on Whatsapp. LuzIA also offers full transcription of voice messages, which I've used several times in the past few weeks. Last week, the company was officially unveiled and it also announced a funding round led by A*, a California-based fund co-founded by Kevin Hartz, co-founder of Eventbrite. The founders of LuzIA were also interviewed in this episode of Monos Estocasticos
- Malaga Hub interviewed the mayor of Malaga, Francisco de la Torre, to talk about what the city plans to do to overcome some of the challenges it faces as it continues to quickly develop its tech ecosystem. It was only a few weeks ago what several of the most prominent entrepreneurs and companies in the city said that Malaga should be more selective in the companies it would attract
- In two weeks, the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) will determine whether the 1-to-30 VTC-to-taxi ratio in Spain is aligned with the EU's legal system or not. These limits imposed in Spain by law have been one of the key hurdles for Cabify, Uber and other players to continue to expand in key cities and across the country
- Proptech startup Spotahome has new C-Level. The company announced new COO, CTPO, CFO and CPO
- Fintech and expense management solution Pleo chooses Madrid to house its Southern Europe hub
- Startup profiles:
- Uptodown: alternative to Google Play
- Paseo: travel audio guides
Big company news 🏦
- Indra has a new CEO, José Vicente de los Mozos. de los Mozos had spent more than 4 decades working in various car and motor companies in Spain, including Renault, Nissan and Ficosa. He wrote a personal note on LinkedIn here. One of Indra's strategic sectors going forward is defense, which has received a lot of attention (and funding) not only in the US, but also across Europe. Also last week, Marc Murtra, president of Indra, said in a press conference that Spain needs bigger local players in the defense space
- Interview with Darío Gil (director of IBM Research) and Mikel Diez (Quantum Global Sales Enablement Lead) to talk about quantum computing and what IBM is doing in the field
Interesting reads 🤓
- Jesus Monleon, co-founder of GoTrendier, wrote a post about lessons learned in the process of raising Trendier's €14m round, closed in the summer of 2022. It's quite interesting and insightful, as usual: "¿Qué he aprendido como inversor levantando una ronda?"
- Jose Carlos Cortizo, CMO of Product Hackers, wrote a thought provoking post about DNVB and the present and future of ecommerce. He says "DNVBs are dead. At least they are dead as a concept. The competitive advantage of growing in the digital channel due to the fact that the investment required to attract customers was lower than in other channels, and that the ceiling was very high, has disappeared"
- Javier Escribano, co-founder and former CPO of Ontruck, published "Árbol de Métricas, un ejercicio para definir métricas de producto que impacten en negocio"
- Historias de Crecimiento interviewed Jorge Peláez, founder of Farma2Go
- Product Hackers interviewed Luis Flores, of Gioseppo
- SeedRocket interviewed Ángel Blesa, CEO of Grupo Codeoscopic
- Life on Mars interviewed Cristina Santa and Anna Albareda, co-founders of YADO