Malaga and Google. SeqeraLabs raised €22M. GoHub's new fund.
October 31, 2022 • Issue #342
El 23 de noviembre comienza la formación para certificarse como Product Manager con los líderes de producto en Thiga Academy.
📚 Certificación enfocada a Product Managers de 0 a 2 años; a quienes buscan impulsar su empresa para dar el salto a producto o mejorar su carrera profesional en producto.
👁 Incluye Mentorías 1:1 con Paco Crespo, Chief Product Officer de Thiga España, y con nuestros entrenadores con experiencia contrastada en Product Management.
🔴 Un total de 58 horas de formación híbrida y clases en directo.
🎖 Entrega de un certificado que acredita el conocimiento adquirido en producto.
🚀 Más de 1.800 alumnos han pasado por los pupitres: Head of Product, Lead Product Managers, Senior Product Managers...
💬 Forma parte de una comunidad de profesionales en el Slack de Thiga.
Quedan las últimas plazas para la edición de noviembre y abierta convocatoria de febrero, descarga el programa aquí
Startup funding news 💸
- Barcelona-based data pipeline and orchestration platform Seqera Labs raised €22M, led by former Tiger Global partner Lee Fixel’s Addition
- Barcelona-based plant-based meat producer Heura raised €20M from various investors, including professional sports players Ricky Rubio, Sergio Busquets and Sergi Roberto, as well as investment firm Unovis Asset Management
- Madrid-based online therapy and coaching platform company TherpayChat raised €6.5M
- Barcelona-based Ourspace raised $2.5M to redesign cross-functional teams. The round was led by Connect Ventures and included the participation of Seedcamp, among others. Ourspace is co-founded by Megan Murphy (former VP of Product at Hotjar), Mark Allen (former Senior Engineering Manager at Glovo) and Stephanie Bowker (Spendesk)
- Madrid-based logistics platform OKCargo raised €2.5M, led by Cardel Consultores
- Madrid-based cashback and discount buying platform Qoala raised €1.6M from various local investors
- Fashion brand Mango invested in Barcelona-based fabrics marketplace Recovo
- Other rounds of funding: StudiesIn, Inespay, Brava Fabrics, Spherag, BHV Partners, Grodi Tech, Nanotures
M&A activity 🎊
- Legaltech startup Logalty acquired also Spanish firm Firmaprofesional. Logalty, which is owned by various PE firms, had sales of €35M in its last fiscal year
- Furniture ecommerce company Hannun acquired British art platform Artesta for €500K
- Bit2me acquired Dekalabs, one of Spain's leading crypto and blockchain consulting firms. More details here
- Barter Energy, a solar energy company co-founded by Martin Varsavsky, acquired Blaudrive, which specializes in EV charging
Investor & accelerator news 🚀
- GoHub Ventures announced a new €60M fund to back B2B companies across Europe, Latam and the US
- Deutsche Bank Spain to launch a fund that will allow Spaniards with at least €100K of investment capacity to invest in VC firms. The first five firms announced as part of the partnership are all German (Lakestar, EarlyBird, HV Capital, Project A) with one exception (Headline)
- Cinco Dias talked to various investors (Jose del Barrio, Carlos Blanco, Miguel Kindelán, Pablo Pérez and others) about the current funding environment in Spain and whether 2022's investment volume will be higher (or not) than 2021's
- Mundi Ventures invested in French embedded insurance company Neat
- Mouro Capital, formerly Santander InnoVentures, co-led the $80M round of US and Israeli insurtech company Vesttoo
Startup news 💡
If you're looking to change careers and move into a product role -or if you're already a PM but you want to improve your skills- take a look at Thiga's Product Manager course. More details here.
- idealista global, the holding company of idealista's multiple geos, did €178M in sales last year
- Filmin says that it doesn't plan to implement an ad-supported plan. The video on demand company also said that it plans to grow revenues this year vs. 2021 and to remain profitable, despite the slowdown in the market following years of record activity due to covid. Filmin recently turned 15 years old
- Patrik Bergareche, managing director of Just Eat in Spain, talked at length in an interview about the Rider Law and the impact it has had in its business and that of its competitors. Patrik believes that some competitors are not following the rules, referring to both Glovo and Uber who continue to work with freelancers/autonomos riders
- Wallbox opened its first manufacturing plant in the US, following an investment of €70M
- Narek Verdian, CTO of Glovo, wrote a post to explain the company's new data strategy (Data Mesh) and they overcame the difficulty of "stakeholders losing their trust in the data which was provided to them". The article is co-authored with consulting firm Thoughtworks, who helped the company in the process
- Urbanitae* launched a new product in the form of loans to property developers
- Indexa Capital disclosed that more than 800 customers have purchased its life insurance product, which they see as a complement to its family of investment products
- FP&A startup Abacum* wrote a post explaining the evolution of financial services software and the impact it has had on the way finance teams operate
- Andrea Barber, co-founder of RatedPower, talked about the recent exit to Enverus
Big company news 🏦
- In 2023, Málaga will become Google's newest Safety Engineering Center, a global hub for cybersecurity and malware research. More details here and here. This is great news for Spain bust most importantly for Malaga. Google acquired local startup VirusTotal in 2012 and its employees and executives never left, including co-founder Bernardo Quintero, who has been one of the city's main champions to promote it as a technology centre. Diario Sur published an overview of the city's ecosystem and its main entrepreneurs
- Spain's tax office to return €1.3B to Telefonica (€790M as a return of previously paid taxes and €526M in interest)
- Iberdrola wants to hire more cybersecurity people, especially after its most recent hack affected info of 1.3M customers
Interesting reads 🤓
- The CNMV said that certain influencers could be disseminating crypto investment recommendations without fully complying with the regulation. It will contact the people identified initially as ‘experts’ to request clarifications regarding their activities. These influencers should be clear about the risk of such investments and if they have a commercial relationship with the investment promoted
- El Mundo interviewed Carina Szpilka of K Fund and adigital to talk about the technology future of Spain and other topics
- Spain overtakes El Salvador to become 3rd-largest crypto ATM hub. Spain currently hosts 215 crypto ATMs, pushing El Salvador — home to 212 — down to the fourth position after surpassing the country by three ATMs. The article does not include any numbers on the usage of these ATMs
- Iñaki Arriaga, co-founder of Acumbamail, wrote about content marketing in B2B
- David Pombar, VP of Product at Packlink, wrote about "hacer producto"
- Samuel Gil, partner at JME, published "Founder mentality"
- Caroline Lagergren, of Expand to Spain, published "3 Spanish, impact unicorns: present, short- and long-term - Why fashiontech, agtech and autotech are likely to breed more impact unicorns in Spain"
- Itnig interviewed Gastón Irigoyen, CEO of Pomelo
- Product Hackers interviewed Juan Ignacio García Braschi, co-founder of Boopos*
- SeedRocket interviewed Alvaro Echevarria, founder and CEO of Likideo