Reveni raised €3M. New €210M energy fund. Jobandtalent and Softbank.
September 26, 2022 • Issue #337
Tinybird partners with Google Cloud so developers and data teams can work together to build realtime data products at any scale.
While data warehouses like BigQuery are terrific for storing and querying large amounts of data, Tinybird is a great compliment for low-latency queries with high concurrency. And that’s critical for user-facing analytics, realtime personalization, realtime inventory management, anomaly detection and alerting, and many other realtime applications, for which we rely on GCP.
Tinybird is a serverless platform that lets developers build and publish low-latency APIs on top of streaming data using just SQL, then continuously integrate data projects to deliver faster user experiences without increasing their devops surface area.
“Many people think they don’t need realtime, but they’re missing that speed compounds over time. Faster queries lead to less infrastructure, which means more time and money that can be invested in product development. Faster development leads to faster feedback and faster releases. Faster UIs means better user experiences and happier customers. Realtime matters. This partnership with Google Cloud helps us deliver the realtime promise with the scalability and performance that our customers need and will also boost our growth thanks to our go-to-market strategy” - Jorge Sancha, Co-Founder & CEO of Tinybird.
Startup funding news 💸
- Telefonica could be in negotiations with Spanish crypto exchange Bit2me to lead a €20M to €30M investment in the company
- Madrid-based reverse logistics financing provider Reveni raised €3M, led by JME
- Zaragoza-based agritech startup Spherag raised €3M, led by Ship2B Ventures
- Barcelona-based proptech company Psquared raised €1.6M
- Bilbao-based meat alternative prouder Innomy raised €1.3M
- Barcelona-based logistics startup Tennders raised €1.3M
- Barcelona-based Union Avatars, a startup dedicated to creating avatars for the metaverse, raised €1.2M led by Inveready and Fi Group
- Mallorca-based hotel booking service Hotelverse raised €1M from various investors
- Other rounds of funding: Solfy,
M&A activity 🎊
- US and Madrid-based cybersecurity startup Devo announced the acquisition of LogicHub, a security orchestration, automation, and response (SOAR) innovator
- Portugal-based pet products and wellness provider Barkyn acquired Spanish rival Happets for an undisclosed figure
Investor & accelerator news 🚀
- Oscar Pierre, founder of Glovo, to launch a new €50m VC fund, according to Sifted
- Alantra and Enagás announced a final closing of €210M of its Klima Energy Transition Fund. The fund has already made three investments and focuses on energy solutions and sustainability
- CDTI invested €8M in 8 new startups in July and August of this year. The list can be found here
- Farside Ventures, the Barcelona-based venture builder that incubates projects across a wide variety of sectors (5G, data and others) said that it plans to launch 100 new projects in the next four years
- Sportboost, the sports startup accelerator backed by Iker Casillas, turned one year old and announced that it has invested €1.2M so far this year
- Barcelona's city government plans to launch a €30M fund to back deep tech startups
- Telefónica Seguros and Wayra announced the launch of Íope Ventures, a fund to back insurtech startups
Startup news 💡
- Softbank Vision Fund has a 23% fully diluted stake in Jobandtalent, the Spanish temp jobs platform. What's interesting is that they got to such a big stake (more than 30% non-fully diluted) in just one and a half years. Other relevant investors in Jobandtalent, recently valued at $2.3B, are Seek (9.3%), Atomico (more than 10%) and Kinnevik (5%)
- This one was a bit confusing: last week it was announced that Glovo had been fined by the Spanish Labour Ministry with €79M because of not following the law and continuing to rely on riders that were falsos autónomos (instead of part time employees). Most news outlets published the news as if Glovo had been fined because it was not complying with the law. Hours after the news was leaked to Cadena Ser, El Confidencial and other publications said that the fine had taken place before the Rider Law went into effect. Smells to me like an intentional leak by the Spanish government
- VC firm TheVentureCity launched Growth Scanner, a data crunching tool that enables startups to measure the health of their product in order to make better business decisions. More info on their Product Hunt page
- I couldn't find the original tweet by Avi Meir, CEO of TravelPerk, but according to an image that was supposedly published by him, the B2B travel tech company has reached $100M in ARR
- Marti Gou, co-founder and CEO of Gretel, wrote a thread about the changes they've implemented to position the company as marketing assistant. More info in this post
- Walter Kobylanski (Gigas, Themesquad) unveiled in a Twitter thread what he has been working on for the past few months: Together, a product that groups all your tools, friends and contacts in an all-in-one solution to succeed in your personal life
- Aitor Garcia, CTO at Devengo, published a presentation about the new direction that Devengo is pursuing: infrastructure to allow for instant payments. The fintech company first started as a payroll advancement service for companies and employees, but later pivot to become a provider of an instant payments API
- Proptech Housfy launched a new product selling to administradores de fincas, says it's already working with 5,000 building managers
- Acceleration Robotics, a robotics semiconductor startup based in the Basque Country, will collaborate with AMD to expand its presence in the robotics market through the development of new robotics capabilities for AMD Kria system-on-modules (SOMs) and adaptive system-on-chips (SoCs)
- Wise move by edtech OpositaTest. It first started as a platform that offered tests to those looking to become a funcionario, but says that it now plans to launch its own courses. At the end of 2021, it had 60K paying subscribers
- Ontruck has a new CTO and Chief Revenue Officer
- Startup profiles:
- Boopos: fintech
- Wifly: eBike subscription service
- Startup interviews:
- Eric Asunción: CEO of Wallbox
Big company news 🏦
- Bizum is now available on N26
Interesting reads 🤓
- Iñaki Arriaga, co-founder of Acumbamail, wrote about the process of selling his company a few years ago and the lessons he's learned along the way
- Danny Saltaren, co-founder of mendelsaltaren and minimum.run, wrote "Design: cosmetic or strategic?"
- Endeavor published a report on the Spanish tech ecosystem: "Mapping Spain's Tech Sector"
- startasap interviewed Alberto Henere, CEO of CFO-as-a-Service company Heneco
- SaaStock interviewed Joaquim Lecha, CEO of Typeform: "Being an Operationally Efficient SaaS Company"
- Itnig interviewed Goiko Llobet, co-founder of GrowPro
- Product Hackers interviewed José Antonio Pérez, co-founder of CoverManager, a SaaS company that reached €10M in ARR without (much) external funding