Boopos raised $58M. Forocoches €1M in profit. Apple's AI plans in Barcelona.
September 5, 2022 • Issue #334
THE STARTUP ACADEMY: EL PRÓXIMO 29 DE SEPTIEMBRE COMIENZA LA IV EDICIÓN DEL CURSO STARTUP FINANCE!
✅ Más de 180 alumnos ya se han formado en The Startup Academy.
✅ Profesionales con más de 7 años de experiencia en startups, Venture Capital, Private Equity y aceleradoras e incubadoras.
✅ Más de 6 nacionalidades de alumnos distintas.
✅ Profesores con experiencia contrastada como CFO en más de 100 startups y fondos nacionales e internacionales.
✅ Más de 15 partners que forman parte de la comunidad de The Startup Academy.
✅ Comunidad de profesionales con grandes perfiles profesionales como CEOs, miembros del management de startups, Business Angels y perfiles de corporate.
Estamos muy contentos de poder seguir aportando valor al ecosistema startup con nuestro curso de finanzas para profesionales del ecosistema. Si quieres hacer networking con todos ellos y formarte en finanzas para startups, ¡estáis a tiempo! 💣 ¡Preinscríbite aquí!
Startup funding news 💸
- Madrid-based lending platform Boopos announced a $58M Series A. The round includes $8M in equity and $50M in debt. The round was led by Bonsai Partners and included the participation of various funds, including us at K Fund. We were already investors in the company
- Lleida-based car parts marketplace Recomotor raised €2M, led by Barlon Capital
- Topi is a Berlin-based hardware-as-a-service company, co-founded by Spaniard Ernesto Jimenez (CTO). The company announced a $45M Series B round
- Other rounds of funding: Alboris Mancha, Capboard, Bambai,
M&A activity 🎊
- Insurance comparison site Rastreator was sold by its owner, RVU, to Italian company MutuiOnline. The transaction also includes Rastreator's business in Mexico. Terms of the deal were not disclosed
- Data and real estate valuation company Tinsa acquired Chilean proptech startup Ondac
- MyInvestor acquired also Spanish roboadvisor company Finanbest
- Nauta exits Zephr, a British leading subscription experience platform for global digital publishing and media companies. The company got acquired by Zuora
Investor & accelerator news 🚀
- Nina Capital led a $2M round in Healee, a company that develops tech that enables healthcare organizations to quickly launch ready infrastructure for telehealth
- Axon announced two new investments in the energy sector: Colombian AI energy company Uptime Analytics and British SEaB Power
- Miguel Arias, partner at K Fund, wrote a post on his learnings and experience after one year at the firm: "back to the rollercoaster"
Startup news 💡
TSCFO's Startup Academy starts on September 29th. If you're interested in the world of finance and you need financial skills for your daily job, this is a great opportunity to become a better professional. Sign up here
- Grow Pro, a company that helps students learn and work abroad, said that it plans to reach €20M in revenues this year, vs. €7.5M a year ago
- Popular forum Forocoches posted a profit of €1M in 2021
- François Derbaix said that Indexa Capital is the only profitable digital wealth management company in Europe, and the most capital efficient
- Ecommerce company We Are Knitters opened its first retail store, in Madrid. Another ecommerce startup Freshly Cosmetics, opened its second retail store in Barcelona. Freshly posted sales of €50M in 2021
- Fleksy launched a developer-focused product that removes all the low-level hard work you need to do to create a mobile keyboard
- El Mundo published an overview of the furniture rental market: startups that offer consumers and businesses the opportunity of renting high quality furniture. The list features startups such as Amuebla Rent, Home Essentials and Rent Chester
- Bendita Llave is shutting down and its founder Agustin Casado wrote a post on the reasons why
- Freepik hired Carlos Cantú, a former Twitter EMEA executive, as Chief Marketing Officer
- Startup profiles:
- Genially: SaaS product to create interactive content
Big company news 🏦
- Since the acquisition of Vilynx, Apple has established an AI centre in Barcelona. The company announced last week plans to hire at least 40 more engineers in coming months
- Romanian telco Digi is conquering the Spanish market with its low cost offering. Digi was the telco with most signups
- PayPal named Beatriz Jimenez, formerly of BBVA and Telefonica, as head of Spain
- Adevinta Spain, owner of companies such as Fotocasa, Coches.net, Milanuncios and others, announced sales of €104M in the first six months of 2022 and EBITDA of €35M
Interesting reads 🤓
- Spain’s road to climate neutrality and the startups making it happen
- Typeform published a case study on "how to offboard users the right way, and one strategy to increase retention"
- Tinybird wrote a post on how one of the largest ecommerce retailers in the world replaced Google Analytics for privacy and speed, and how Tinybird was used in the new structure
- Antonio Rull, PM at BeBanjo, published an article listing metrics and KPIs that product-led growth teams should track
- Simon Muñoz, platform PM at Voicemod, published "the second biggest lie about product management"
- Alberto Hospital, dealflow manager at Lanzadera, published a post on "the main red flags that turn investors away from investment opportunities"
- Here's an interesting article on the impact of the Ley Rider, from the point of view of the riders that have been affected by the law and are now seeing fewer revenues and rides than before
- Product Hackers interviewed Guillem Viladomat, co-founder of Durcal
- Itnig interviewed Rafa Martos, CEO and co-founder of Trainingym
- K Fund interviewed Jorge Vidri and Alberto Espinos, co-founder of DTC companies pompeii and Tropicfeel, respectively
- SeedRocket interviewed Rafa Garrido, formerly of eShop Ventures