Holded's €71M earn-out. Kleta raised €2M. Tinybird out of beta.
April 4, 2022 • Issue #313
8wires.io is a studio with +6 years of experience specialized in data engineering for you to build, optimize and scale your business project, without bottlenecks and with the right information. We help you in data architectures for reporting, automation and advanced analytics.
We have realized that, fundamentally, there are two types of companies: those that trust their data and those that do NOT.
If you are in the first group, the good stuff begins. Do we need to optimize cloud costs or load times? incorporate more data? technical debt? implement an algorithm?
If your company belongs to the second group, let's change that. It is likely that you need a small reform (or an integral one), and we can help you, both in technology and in business.
At 8wires.io we work every day, side by side, with people who live your same challenges. We would love to meet you, either to share or to build.
Startup funding news 💸
- Barcelona-based bike subscription service Kleta raised €2M. Former NBA player Marc Gasol participated in the deal
- Barcelona-based biotech company Integra Therapeutics raised €1.5M
- Barcelona-based photonics startup Meetoptics raised €1M
- Barcelona-based biotech company Flomics raised €1M for its cancer detection tech
- Barcelona-based edtech Assembler Institute raised €1M, from Cabiedes & Partners, Scale Lab and The Valley VC
- Madrid-based Reveni raised €800K from Fernando Cabello, JME and other investors. The company offers a financing service for product returns and reverse logistics
- Other rounds of funding: Datos101, Stay
M&A activity 🎊
- Holded got acquired by Norwegian giant Visma for at least €120M in 2021. At the time of the transaction, it was reported that the price could increase based on the performance of Holded in the next few months. Now it's been revealed that Visma will pay an additional €71M as part of an earn-out, bringing the total price of the transaction to €191M. Kudos to Bernat, Javi and the rest of the team and invesstors
- Spanish renewable energy company Grenergy entered the US market with the acquisition of a 40% stake in Sofos Harbert Renewable Energy
Investor & accelerator news 🚀
- Inveready successfully divested SEC Newgate SpA in the minority buyout offer launched by Three Hills Capital Partners (THCP), for a return of around 2X
- Bio&Tech Smart Capital is a new Galicia-based biotech fund launched by Noso Capital
- Javier Nuche, head of Atresmedia Diversificacion, was interviewed to talk about the investment activity of the firm. Atresmedia has invested €70M in 30 startups over the years, including Wallapop, Glovo or Fever
- Valencia-based GoHub plans to invest €3 million in deeptech Canadian startups
Startup news 💡
8wires.io is a studio with +6 years of experience specialized in data engineering for you to build, optimize and scale your business project, without bottlenecks and with the right information. Get in touch with them here.
- Ebury, the FX payments startup acquired by Santander in 2019, expects to close its fiscal year with a 30% increase in revenues, to €160M. The company saw a decrease in sales due to the pandemic but appears to be again on a growth trajectory
- Proptech company Clikalia said that it expects to launch soon in Portugal and France. The company acquires homes from owners to later sell them with a 5% to 6% margin. It has raised more than €500M in equity and debt in recent months
- Tinybird is out of beta and open to anyone on a self-serve basis. The company helps data teams deliver real-time answers at scale through analytical API endpoints built in minutes
- Swedish company Volta Trucks opened its first commercial office in Spain, in Madrid. Volta is an automotive company that offers electric trucks for sustainable cities and it recently raised €230M
- Notification-as-a-service company MagicBell launched on Product Hunt. This was MagicBell's second launch on PH, and it included a new set of mobile SDKs, Slack integration, SMS and smart delivery
- Adigital, Ascri and a group of some of the most promising scaleups in Spain announced the launch of EsTech, an initiative to give more visibility to the role that companies such as Cabify, RedPoints, Factorial, Wallbox and several others can play in the future of the country
- Cabify says that its logistics and last mile delivery business has increased by 5.6X YoY. The company did not disclose any other figures, so it's hard to comment on the reported growth
- Bikesharing companies were all over Madrid years ago, but most of them had to leave due to low adoption and competition from BiciMad, the local government initiative. Now they're back: 2,800 bikes from companies such Lime or Dott will soon be available in Madrid
- Likideo, a Latam invoice discounting startup co-founded by Spaniard Alvaro Echevarria, received regulatory approval to start operating in Mexico
- Talenty agency Manfred published a postmortem on the launch of its Stackoverflowgeddon initiative
- Startup profiles:
- Partfy: events marketplace
Big company news 🏦
- Amazon to open a "high tech" hub in Barcelona. The company already has offices in the city, where it plans to add 100 engineers this year as part of this new initiative
- Volkswagen to open a gigafactory in Sagunt (Valencia), which will employ 3,000 people
- Data centre investment in Spain to reach almost €7B until 2026
- Two news related to Zara: a new phygital collection and it has started to work with microinfluencers
- How Spanish supermarkets do ecommerce and last mile delivery
Interesting reads 🤓
- Ignacio Arriaga of Acumbamail published a thread on the topic of when to add features to your existing product
- Anna Via, product manager at Glovo, published "Partner Health: measuring marketplace health as a first step to improve it"
- Juan López and Eduardo Gulias, both of Packlink, published a post on "the 4 key metrics that have helped us focus on improvements system-wide, keep the system healthy, monitor/visualize impact, and evolve"
- Javier de Toro (Angels) and David Miranda (Osborne Clarke) published a blog post explaining how a term sheet works and its main clauses
- Forbes published its list of "30 under 30" for Spain, featuring a lot of tech entrepreneurs
- Product Hackers interviewed Pep Gomez, co-founder of Fever and Reby
- CampusMVP interviewed Adrian Mato, Staff Product Designer at GitHub
- Startasap interviewed Edgar Vicente, co-founder of investment firm Enzo Ventures
- RTVE published an interview with Elisenda Bou, co-founder of Vilynx, acquired by Apple
- Itnig interviewed Marc Assens, co-founder and CTO of Happy Scribe, a company that got to €3.5M ARR without external funding