SpliceBio raised €50m. BBVA invested €352m in two neobanks. Nina Capital's new €40m+ fund.
February 21, 2022 • Issue #307
¿No entiendes ni media palabra de tu seguro de hogar? ¿Estás cansado de que te mareen cuando tienes un problema? ¿Has intentado darte de baja hasta que lo has dejado por imposible?
Por eso hemos creado Tuio.
🔍 Un seguro sin letra pequeña. Nuestra póliza está escrita para gente normal. 📱 100% digital, todo disponible desde tu móvil. Olvídate de que te pregunten por cuarta vez ¿de qué compañía eres? mientras tienes el baño inundado. 👋 Sin permanencias. Es una suscripción mensual. Te puedes dar de baja cuando quieras. 🌲 Bueno para la sociedad. Reservamos 75% de las primas para pagar siniestros (mientras que el resto de aseguradoras SOLO el 48%) y donamos a ONGs lo que sobra. 💶 Solvente. Todas nuestras pólizas están reaseguradas con compañías que llevan casi 100 años haciendo esto.
Estamos especializados en pisos urbanos y, en resumen, ¡Te ofrecemos las mejores coberturas al mejor precio! Si te interesa haz click aquí.
Startup funding news 💸
- Jesus Martinez of La Informacion wondered whether the NASDAQ correction will affect startup valuations
- Barcelona-based biotech company SpliceBio raised €50m, co-led by UCB Ventures and Ysios Capital with participation by New Enterprise Associates, Gilde Healthcare, Novartis Venture Fund and Asabys Partners. SpliceBio is a biotechnology company exploiting Protein Splicing to develop the next generation of gene therapies
- Madrid-based MedUX raised €7.3m from Swedish investors BTS Group and Inveready. The company has built a customer experience and quality measurement product for the telco industry
- Madrid-based growth consulting firm Rockin Media raised €4.5m from Mexican fund Lotus
- Barcelona-based Sunhero, a startup that delivers custom-built solar panel solutions, raised €3.5m from Speedinvest and All Iron
- Barcelona-based Bioo, a startup that generates electricity from nature, raised €1.5m
- Barcelona-based blockchain video game developer Games for a Living (G4AL) raised €1.2m to give users easy access to blockchain
- Valencia-based corporate travel company Consultia Business Travel raised €1.2m
- Barcelona-based proptech Aqui Tu Reforma raised €1m from Iberdrola. More info here
- Barcelona-based Optimus Price lands €1m for its AI-based pricing software, from Zone2boost, Wayra, business angels and Crowdcube
- Other rounds of funding: AntalGenics, AdamoRobot, GreendurTechnologies, Wowplay, Glex,
M&A activity 🎊
- Merger conversations and negotiations continue between Orange and MasMovil. Vodafone is also interested in MasMovil
- German group Fresenius is in talks to buy a stake in Spanish biotech firm mAbxience for €400m
Investor & accelerator news 🚀
- Barcelona-based health tech fund Nina Capital announced the final closing of its second fund, with a size of more than the expected €40m, more than doubling the size of its first fund (€18m). Nina Capital has already backed five companies from all over Europe with the new fund
- GoHub Ventures announced the name of the five new companies that will participate in its accelerator program aimed at deeptech startups: Nymiz, Anfibium, Agrow Analytics, EarthPulse and Okify
Startup news 💡
Tuio is an insurtech startup that has built a fully digital home insurance product. No intermediaries, no late fees and starting at just €5/month. For more information visit their website
- In the six years that Deliveroo was active in Spain, the company had combined losses of €100m. In its best year in terms of revenues, 2020, Deliveroo saw sales of €31m and losses of almost €25m
- Freepik grew revenues by 37% in 2021, to €61.5m and currently has 561k paid subscribers. The company plans to complement its current portfolio of products with video content
- Tiendeo grew revenues by 24% in 2021, to €13m. The company has 75m MAUs
- Guillem Viladomat explained in an interview the evolution of the company he co-founded several years ago and has now transformed into Durcal, a smartwatch and an app to help families look after the elderly. Durcal is a K Fund portfolio co.
- Crypto platform Bit2me was officially accepted for registration as a crypto provider by the Bank of Spain
- Xataka published an article on Bnext's migration of users towards its own fintech infrastructure and moving away from Pecunpay. According to the article, as a result of the migration some users have frozen balances with the old provider
- Revenue-based financing startup Capchase announced that it will open a new European HQ in London. Capchase claims to have witnessed strong growth in 2021 and provided about $1.6b in funds to entrepreneurs throughout the year, and that it has made $200m available to UK startups in six months
- Wallbox released its first-ever Super Bowl commercial entitled #SuperchargedSeth. You can watch the ad here. The 15 second commercial for the company’s electric vehicle charger features a lightning strike survivor who is afraid of electricity, except when using his Wallbox
- Several Spanish companies and startups such as Cabify, Eventbrite and others are giving employees Fridays off
- The co-living division of coworking company Aticco to launch in Madrid, where it expects to have as many as 1,500 rooms available in two years
- Startup profiles:
- Vidext: text to video SaaS
Big company news 🏦
- BBVA re-invested in UK-based neobank Atom, leading a €89m round and reaching an ownership of 39%. Here are some more details on Atom's performance to date. The Spanish bank also announced last week a €263m investment in Brazilian neobank Neon, where the bank was already an investor through its venture arm Propel Ventures. With this new follow-on round, BBVA has a 29% stake in Neon
- Amazon to share merchant's sales data with Hacienda, in order to avoid tax evasion
- La Informacion published a profile of Elena Díaz Sánchez, Manager Center of Excellence (IoT& Big Data)
Interesting reads 🤓
- Antonio Ortiz, co-founder of WeblogsSL, wrote an op-ed in El Pais about audience measuring in the news sector: "Tracking unique users: the heroin of digital media"
- Alex Bryszkowski, formerly of Vozelia, published an interesting thread on venture building, or helping launch products from scratch
- Simon Muñoz, platform PM at Voicemod, published "Why is strategy difficult?"
- Samuel Gil published a post on 10 tips for business angels
- How Murcia-based startup Erasmusu has embraced remote work and how the company is organised to allow for distributed work
- Mehdi Bennaceur, data scientist at Glovo, published "Handling position bias for unbiased restaurants ranking"
- La Opinion de Malaga published an article on the increasing number of of women in the gaming sector
- K Fund published a post on how to prepare your startup for an M&A deal and how to manage the process
- Product Hackers interviewed Enrique Lizaso, co-founder of quantum computing startup Multiverse Computing
- Mission.org interviewed Roger Casals, founder and CEO of Plazah: "How Plazah is Writing the Next Chapter of the Ecommerce Story"
- K Fund interviewed Josefa Marzo and Oriol Ros, co-founders of fintech B2B VC firm Kalonia Venture Partners
- Bernat Farrero and Jordi Romero of Itnig and Factorial recorded an episode on company culture
- SeedRocket interviewed Maurici Badía and Joan Álvarez, co-founders of ecommerce startup Hannun