Seaya closes €165m fund. Bizum valued at €50m. Deliveroo in Spain.
December 27, 2021 • Issue #299
¿Cerrando ronda? Compleméntala con ENISA, un préstamo sin avales.
Tras completar los fondos disponibles para este año, es el momento de preparar tu solicitud ENISA para 2022, ya que el orden de llegada cuenta.
En Lean Finance tenemos un 90% de aprobación en las solicitudes que gestionamos, por lo que podemos asegurar que somos especialistas en conseguir tu préstamo sin avales con las mayores garantías posibles. Gestionamos todo el proceso, desde la fase de admisión hasta el momento del cobro, ahorrándote trabajo y quebraderos de cabeza. Además, este año se incorpora la nueva línea “Enisa Emprendedoras Digitales'' con una dotación de €51m para los próximos tres años.
Escríbenos y hablamos de cómo financiar tu proyecto.
Startup funding news 💸
- Clarity, the startup that offers societal impact rating services to financial institutions, revealed in a filing with the SEC that the two rounds of funding completed this year it has raised a total of $71m. Prior to this disclosure, Clarity had only publicly announced the size of one of those investments, which were led by Blackrock and Softbank, respectively
- Sevilla-based travel startup Kampaoh raised €5m from Axon, JME, Alter Capital and Encomenda
- Barcelona-based biotech startup A4Cell raised €1.25m
- Travel and edtech startup GrowPro raised €1m led by Angels Capital
- Madrid-based ChatWith raised €750k, led by Angels
- Madrid-based hospitality startup Goxo raised €500k via Startupxplore
- Other rounds of funding: StageInHome, Quantic Brains Technologies
M&A activity 🎊
- Telefonica acquired Spanish engineering company, Geprom, with the aim of advancing in areas that are related to Industry 4.0. The company specializes in industrial automation and digital transformation of processes. Terms of the deal were not disclosed
- Accel Partners published a post on the exit of Packlink. Accel had been a shareholder of Packlink for many years
Investor & accelerator news 🚀
- Seaya Ventures closed an oversubscribed third fund at €165m. This is a relevant increase from the two previous funds, Seaya II (€103m, 2017) and Seaya I (€57m, 2013). The firm has already made 10 investments out of its third fund and expects to do a total of between 15 to 20. Seaya plans to make around 60% of all investments in Spain and the remaining in Europe, with tickets between €2m and €8m in first investments and up to €20m in follow-on funding
- Angels Capital, the investment arm of Juan Roig's Lanzadera, disclosed its 2021 numbers: it invested a total of €2.3m across 11 startups. Since its foundation, Angels has backed 37 startups for a total of €32m
- Jesus Alonso, a business angel with more than 70 investments, has recently moved from Madrid to Malaga due to the increasing appealing of the city as a startup hub
Startup news 💡
ENISA and other loans and grants from the public sector are a great way to extend your startup runway and work great as a complement to raising a funding round. However, doing all the paperwork and processes to get those grants can be a pain. If you need help, get in touch with Lean Finance and they'll help you get your ENISA.
- El Pais published a profile of Pedro Castillo and Devo, de security and SIEM startup he co-founded 10 years ago and is now valued at €1.3b
- Digital Fuel Capital and Viagogo provided €35m to Stubhub International, the international division of Stubhub formerly known as Ticketbis (pre-acquisition). According to the article, Ticketbis has had a tough past couple of years as a result of the pandemic
- We now have the numbers. When Deliveroo announced plans to leave Spain, many speculated that it was mostly caused by the Rider Law. Now we know that Deliveroo's performance in Spain didn't help either. In the first 9 months of 2021, Deliveroo reached €100m in sales, €20m higher than in the previous year (€80m). Spanish sales accounted for 2.4% of Deliveroo's global sales in 2020, compared to just 1.6% in 2021. In other words, Spain was becoming less and less important for Deliveroo's global P&L
- Catalonia is going into orbit: The region’s quest to conquer the space sector. The article features space exploration and satellite startups such as Pangea Aerospace, Zero 2 Infinity, Sateliot and Open Cosmos
- Payroll advance company Payflow says it has 150 customers and 100,000 employees using their services. The company also recently launched in Colombia as an entry point to the Latam market
- Fintech API startup Belvo published a summary of 2021, "a year of exponential growth" for the company
- Novobrief published an overview of the proptech sector, which according to the publication led funding in Spain in 2021
- El Español talked to Juan Luis Hortelano, president of Startup Valencia, about the recently held Valencia Digital Summit as well as the evolution of the Valencia startup ecosystem
- Last mile logistics startup Deelivers to finish 2021 with €13m in sales, more than 3X compared to 2020
- Recruiting startup Rviewer launched its first Codeathon, a developer competition where the best technical challenges solved are awarded
- Startup profiles:
- Harbest Market: food marketplace
- Invisible Collector: fintech
Big company news 🏦
- Bizum's numbers in 2021: 19m Spaniards completed a total of 474m transactions in 2021, more than in all previous five years combined. It has also tripled its revenues in 2021, from €4m the previous year to €12m, and it will post its first profit this year. Bizum has also been involved in a bit of turmoil this year: Caixabank, one of its founding members, wants to sell its 8% stake in Bizum, but the bank and its potential acquirers could not agree on a valuation. An independent entity, Auren, valued Bizum at €50m. In today's funding environment, if Bizum were an independent company, it would be valued at a much higher number than that
Interesting reads 🤓
- La Informacion published a summary of 2021, focusing on two main topics: the funding environment in Spain, which has seen record levels of investment, M&A transactions and IPOs and the Spanish startup law, which we have yet to see the final proposal by the document
- Yeray Darias (IBM) wrote about Test-Driven Development
- Simon Muñoz (Voicemod) published "Why would you hire engineers to tell them what to do?"
- In a recent visit to Barcelona, I sat down for 45 minutes with TravelPerk CEO Avi Meir to talk about the company post-pandemic, his experience acquiring and integrating companies and how decisions are made at TravelPerk
- Mentees Project interviewed Ignasi Vegas, co-founder and CTO of Mexican logistics startup Cubbo
- Product Hackers interviewed Roger Pique of Inveready
- Novicap interviewed Pau Sabria, co-founder of Olapic (sold to Monotype for $130m) and now at Remotely
- Two Spanish YC startups interview each other: Hasan Nawaz (Hubuc) and Hana Mohan (MagicBell)
- Itnig interviewed Valentín Izquierdo and Federico Aguilar, co-founders of Hamelyn