Biome Makers raised $15m. Freepik's hiring spree. Telefonica Ventures does 5X on Altiostar deal.
August 30, 2021 • Issue #282
The Startup CFO Academy
Fórmate en finanzas para startups de la mano de un equipo con experiencia contrastada en 40+ startups y en fondos nacionales e internacionales.
- Dominar herramientas necesarias para entender las finanzas de una startup. - Comprender las diferentes alternativas de financiación para las startups. - Profundizar en las rondas de financiación y su impacto en el largo plazo. - Modelar y entender diferentes modelos de negocio. - Diseñar modelos de reporting robustos internos y para inversores. - Participar en una comunidad de profesionales de las finanzas en startups.
Más información sobre el curso en este link. Preinscríbete sin compromiso y te enviaremos una sesión totalmente gratis sobre "Cómo hacer el business plan de una startup en una hora".
Fecha de inicio del curso: 25 de septiembre de 2021. ¡60 plazas limitadas!
Startup funding news 💸
- Madrid and California-based biotech firme Biome Makers raised $15m to become the 23andMe of soil. The round was led by Prosus Ventures, with participation from existings Spanish funds Seaya Ventures and JME
- Other rounds of funding: Worksible,
M&A activity 🎊
- Telefonica Ventures said that it did a 5X multiple on its investment in Altiostar, a US company that provides open virtual radio access network (vRAN) technology. Telefonica first invested $5m in Altiostar in 2019 and the company was recently acquired by Rakuten for $1b
- Barcelona-based biotech fund Nina Capital announced an investment in Polish company Cardiomatics, which is accelerating the clinical diagnostic pathway for atrial fibrillation
Investor & accelerator news 🚀
- I published the wrong link last week, so re-posting this. Business Insider published a profile of Andreas Mihalovits, a former entrepreneur turned investor. Andreas was born in Germany but now lives in Marbella. He's probably one of Spain's most active business angels
- Miguel Arias of K Fund did an analysis of the investment returns that would result from backing all of Chamberi Valley companies between 2012 and 2019. He says that the current DPI (Distributions to Paid-in-Capital) would be of 1,86X and a TVPI (Total Value to Paid-in-Capital) of 4,9X. Great results
Startup news 💡
- Freepik, which EQT acquired for more than €200m a few months ago, said that it has hired more than 95 employees so far this year. The company currently has 361 workers and says that attracting talent to Malaga has become easier
- Related to the above, more tech firms continue to open offices in Malaga. This time it was French consulting and digital services company Talan that announced a new 100-employee office in the city, mostly focused on engineers and technical talent
- VC firm All Iron published the fourth edition of its newsletter, which includes an interview with Lookiero founder and CEO Oier Urrutia
- Business Insider did a profile of Hasier Larrea, co-founder and CEO of US startup Ori. Ori is a smart space company that designs multi-functional, robotic-powered interior solutions. The company is headquartered in the US, but Hasier is Basque
- Glovo riders and dark store workers went on strike in Barcelona on Friday, demanding improvements to working conditions and higher pay from the Spanish quick delivery startup
- Cinco Dias interviewed Kevin Koh, head of asset allocation & research at Finizens, to talk about their view of the financial markets, passive vs. active investing and other topics
- Revenue-based financing startup Ritmo launched in Latam, starting with Mexico
- Startups' Oasis published a list of VCs-turned-entrepreneurs, featuring Andrea Oliver (Nauta - Emjoy), Julio Martinez (Innocells - Abacum) and others
- Startup profiles:
- Clinpify & Cafler: automotive services
- Cocircular: sustainability and recycling
- Checktobuild: construction
- Casum: proptech, rent-to-buy
Big company news 🏦
- Banco Santander and PSA to beef up its various car-focused divisions, including its car subscription service, with a €126m injection
Interesting reads 🤓
- Elena Moral and Paola Cucurullo, software engineers at Packlink, published 'Moving to Project-Based Interviews for Juniors'
- SeedRocket interviewed Juanjo Mostazo, co-founder of HOMA Games, to talk about about the gaming sector
- Product Hackers interviewed Sora Sans, co-founder of ecommerce and marketplace site Bulevip