Glovo raised €450m. Masmovil to acquire Euskaltel for €2b. Bizum has 15m users.
April 5, 2021 • Issue #262
En zityhub ayudamos a que todo tipo de compañías, tanto startups como grandes corporaciones, ofrezcan espacios de trabajo flexibles a sus empleados.
Con nuestra app, miles de profesionales gestionan de forma flexible sus propias oficinas y además tienen acceso inmediato a los puestos de trabajo y salas de reuniones de nuestra red de espacios ejecutivos.
Zityhub está presente en Madrid, Barcelona y otras grandes ciudades españolas. Si crees en el espacio de trabajo híbrido, en el que un día estás desde casa, al día siguiente en la oficina y después en una sala de reuniones que has reservado cerca de tus clientes, tenemos un plan para ti.
Da igual cuántos seáis o el espacio que necesitéis, visítanos para conocer nuestra visión del futuro del trabajo.
Startup funding news 💸
- Barcelona-based Glovo raised a Series F round of $528m (€450m). It's the largest round ever raised by a Spanish startup. Jesus Martinez of La Informacion had the exclusive a couple of weeks ago. The round is led by Lugard Road Capital and Luxor Capital, both with close ties to Delivery Hero, who is Glovo's largest shareholder.
- With this round, Spain has already surpassed the total amount of funding raised by local startups in 2020, according to data shared by Javier Megias
- Barcelona-based analytics startup Qbeast raised €520k from Inveready and Banc Sabadell
- Other rounds of funding: PhysioMRI, Balio
M&A activity 🎊
- Grupo Masmovil made a €2b offer to acquire telco competitor Euskaltel. It was long rumoured that Masmovil wanted to acquire Vodafone instead. It's the second major transaction by José Miguel García, currently CEO of Euskaltel, who joined after successfully selling Jazztel a few years ago
- Cloud hosting company Gigas to acquire the cloud storage division of Valoradata for €2.3m
- Spanish corporate Ferrovial to benefit from the SPAC of Lilium, the German startup that manufactures aerotaxis
Investor & accelerator news 🚀
- Sifted profiled Enzo Ventures, a new microfund by Gen Z founders, for Gen Z founders. The Barcelona microfund has raised €500k to invest in pre-seed startups
- Lanzadera and Amadeus signed a partnership to increase the number of travel companies in its incubation and acceleration programmes
- Wayra held its 2021 Fitcamp event, to bring startups and Telefonica closer together. Participants in this new edition include the likes of Fuel, Galgus, Clevernet (K Fund portfolio company), Councilbox and others
Startup news 💡
- Pablo de la Hoz, COO of Zityhub, shared in this interview with El Español a few weeks ago his vision about how COVID and the trend towards flexibility was impacting workspaces. Zityhub is growing at a fast pace, taking advantage of the space-as-a-service megatrend, and they’re looking for various roles for their tech team.
- Antonio Ortiz of WeblogsSL (webedia) published an op-ed about the evolution of the Malaga startup ecosystem, what it needs to do to continue to evolve and what might be holding it back
- idealista has made changes to its board of directors, appointing a director associated to Oakley Capital and another one linked to Apax, who recently re-invested in the real estate company. I did not know that Beatriz Gonzalez, co-founder of Seaya Ventures, is also a director of idealista
- Expansion published an article about startups that have built products for freelancers and SMBs. The article highlights the following companies and figures: Qonto (French fintech, 150k customers in Spain), Singular Cover (insurtech, 3,500 clients), Billin (the invoicing platform recently acquired by TeamSystem; Billin is a portfolio company of K Fund) and Declarando (70k clients)
- Expansion also wrote a post about the chatbot industry, featuring startups such as Landbot and Ethyka
- Emprendedores interviewed Nacho de Pinedo and Javier Rodríguez Zapatero, co-founders of educational platform ISDI, about their recent exit to Magnum Capital, which acquired a 70% stake in the company for €35m, and the future of education
- Fintonic announced the launch of a lending marketplace product to help retailers and businesses offer lending options to consumers
- Madrid-based retail analytics startup Shoppermotion explained in a blog post how to understand products correlations to facilitate in-store targeting activities
- Graphext published a blog post highlighting how asset manager company Menhir uses the software developed by the Spanish startup as the first step towards their fully automated asset management model
- Barcelona-based online activity marketplace Onsite wrote a blog post about 'How to build psychological safety when distributed'
- El Pais published a profile of David Riudor, co-founder and CEO of fintech startup Goin. Goin is a portfolio company of K Fund
- Startups' Oasis interviewed Uri Tintore, co-founder of fintech startup Belvo. In the interview, Uri explains the origins of the company and what they're up to in the open banking Latam space
- Austrian online tutoring startup GoStudent recently announced a €70m round and plans to expand its presence in Spain. The company already has an office in Madrid with 20 employees and wants to both hire more people and increase the relevante of its edtech platform in the country
- Gabriel Aldamiz, formerly of Chicisimo, announced that he's joined Barkibu as head of product. A Coruña-based Barkibu recently announced a $5m round of funding
- Startup profiles: Trucksters, Senniors, Findo
At zityhub we are passionate about the future of work and the role that carefully crafted technology plays in it, and we believe that with our simple but powerful digital platform we can substantially improve the way hundreds of thousands of professionals work every day.
With thousands of active users and growing, our engineering team is actively looking for the best developers to share our vision of the future of work. If you're interested or know someone who might be, please visit our LinkedIn profile !
Big company news 🏦
- Marimar Jimenez of Cinco Dias published some interesting figures about Amazon's business in Spain: sales of €5.4b in 2020, €140m paid in direct taxes and more than 12k full time employees
- According to Expansion, Bizum now has more than 15m users. It's not clear what type of users they're referring to (active? registered?) but the figure speaks to the success and development of Bizum in Spain
- Bankinter interviewed Pilar Manchón, Senior Director of Research Strategy at Google, to talk about AI, the impact of the pandemic in her industry and other topics
- According to Modaes, Decathlon is considering opening an innovation hub in Barcelona
Tech and policy 💂🏼♂️
- El Español talked to the founders of mobility companies Cooltra, Youin and Kleta about regulation affecting their businesses and how cities can adapt their laws to make room for such mobility services
Interesting reads 🤓
- Diego Ballesteros, CEO of Bewe and previously of Sin Delantal, published a series of tweets about mental health and depression as a startup founder. Must read for anyone that might be going through similar circumstances. My advice: it's always a good idea to see a psychologist or go to therapy every once in a while
- Antonio Rull, product manager at marketgoo, published a post about his experience working asynchronously: pros and cons, lessons learned and how he's had to adapt
- Ramon Andrio, VP of Product at Streamloots, published an article about how they approach agile at the gaming company
- David Bonilla wrote about the size of the Spanish IT sector. He estimates that there are about 450k people working in software development in Spain, and about 300k of those would be coders
- Itnig interviewed Julio Ribes, co-founder of Swipcar
- En.digital interviewed Sergio Simarro, to talk about Conversion Rate Optimization