Glovo could be raising €450m. Aldea Ventures unveiled. PC Componentes €647m in sales.
March 29, 2021 • Issue #261
What if you could 100% confidently select the right coder based on the visibility of his or her real-world performance? 🎯
Rviewer is a developer competencies evaluation platform built by a team of coders and tech hiring experts that accelerates hiring and makes it faster and easier to evaluate programmer skills.
How do we do it? Using cool challenges – skills specific and designed by coders – to test candidates. We pre-vet developers for you, so you can interview and follow up with only those that have exactly the level of skills your position demands.
What’s different about Rviewer?
- Quick view of candidate code skills: maintainability, testing, code quality. - Full downloadable reports – you can even view the actual code. - Challenges that test specific skills in real-world scenarios. - Developers love our challenges – we have a 90% completion rate!
We love when everyone is happy at work. So we make it easy for companies to match up with great coders. Ready for an easier, better way to find the right programmer for the job? Try Rviewer for free and see for yourself.
Startup funding news 💸
- According to Jesus Martinez of La Informacion, Glovo is in the final stages of raising €450m, which would be the largest round ever raised by a Spanish startup
- Barcelona-based medtech startup Inbrain Neuroelectronics raised €14.3m from Asabys Partners and Alta Life Sciences
- Valencia-based data analysis startup Kenmei Technologies raised $1.5m from MASVentures and Wayra
- According to El Referente, Catalan biotech startups raised a combined €200m in 2020, more than twice the amount that was raised two years ago in the same sector and region
- Other rounds of funding: Upwine, Livelia, Vermut
M&A activity 🎊
- CMC acquired Oracle-focused consulting firm Avanttic
- Nadia Calviño, head of the Spanish Ministry of Economy, wants to make some regulatory changes to increase the number of SPACs in Spain
Investor & accelerator news 🚀
- Aldea Ventures is a new Barcelona-based ‘hybrid’ €100m fund to invest both in micro VCs. Aldea Ventures is led by managing partners Carlos Trenchs, formerly at Caixa Capital Risc; Alfonso Bassols, previously at Nauta Capital; Josep Duran, formerly with the European Investment Fund; and Gonzalo Rodés, chairman. Aldea has already invested in Nina Capital, based in Barcelona, and Rodrigo Martinez's helloworld fund
- Nauta Capital participated in Connected2Fiber's $12m Series B round
- Yisios Capital participated in an $80m round of US biotech firm Aura Biosciences
- ENISA published a report on the economic and social impact of its investments between 2005 and 2016
- Javier de Toro of Lanzadera published an analysis of 60 rounds associated to t accelerator and published its findings about the valuation of pre-seed, seed and late-seed companies
- Expansion interviewed Carina Szpilka, head of Adigital and co-founder of K Fund, to talk about the digital future of Spain, regulation and other topics
- El Español published an interview and profile of Iñaki Arrola, co-founder of K Fund and previously at coches.com. I know Iñaki well, and this is a quite personal and good profile of his
Startup news 💡
Rviewer is a new coding skills evaluation platform that pre-screens programmers so it’s much faster and easier to find exactly the right match for the skills set and level you need. Candidates are pre-evaluated based on performance in real-world coding challenges. Full skills transparency. Much faster time to hire. Find out more and use the Rviewer platform for free right here .
- PC Componentes disclosed its 2020 financials and they're quite impressive: €647m in sales (+60% year-on-year), 2.6m orders (+70% YoY), average order value of €250 and 200 sellers on its marketplace
- Malaga-based Uptodown, the online platform that enables users to discover and download apps from any device, announced a partnership with Unity to distribute games developed using Unity's engine. Xataka also profiled the company here and Diario Sur interviewed its co-founders, Pepe Dominguez and Luis Hernandez
- This is an old post, but I think it's a good one that I've never included before: 'How Jeff built a lead acquisition engine to conquer the world'
- Boston and Madrid-based SIEM startup Devo continues to make senior hires across various departments: 'Fueled by sustained, strong momentum, cloud-native logging and security analytics leader adds industry veterans from Amazon, F5 Networks, SAP, LogMeIn and IBM Security'
- El Español published a long profile of cybersecurity startup Kymatio, which provides a security solution to companies to manage employee-based risk
- Austrian startup Bitpanda announced a new funding round of $170m and unicorn valuation, as well as the opening of offices in Madrid and Barcelona
- Generalitat de Catalunya fined Cabify with €431k associated with the employment status of some of its drivers
- Aplazame, the buy-now-pay-later Spanish company acquired by Wizink, managed €127m in financing in 2020
- ITEA profiled Barcelona-based Clevernet, whose explicit mission is to make the internet better by providing a faster, more reliable and secure way to transfer data. Clevernet is a K Fund portfolio company
- B2B Marketers interviewed Eva Cabanach, head of marketing at RatedPower, to talk about B2B marketing
- Startup profiles: Capchase, CoverManager, Durcal, Suscrip, Rentchester, Rviewer
Big company news 🏦
- La Informacion has details on Indra and layoffs that have affected more than 800 employees of the company
- Amazon's legal battle on the topic of the employment status of its Flex drivers will have to wait until late 2022
- BBVA did its pro-rata in Atom's last funding round, thus continuing to have a 39% stake in the UK neobank
Interesting reads 🤓
- El Confidencial published a profile of Iker Marcaide, the founder of Flywire who now runs Zubi Labs. Zubi Labs focuses on launching and investing in social impact projects, starting with a Montessori school in Valencia and a whole neighborhood
- Jorge Bodas of Dotricks published an interesting article about PLG (product-led growth)
- Soluble Studio published an overview of the rebranding, design and product work they did for Dozen, previously known as The Crowd Angel
- Business Insider talked to six Spanish podcasters that get the majority of their income from podcasts
- Newsletter Views interviewed Rebeca Minguela, CEO of Clarity and previously of Blink, sold to Groupon
- Caroline Lagergren of Expand to Spain published 'Capital efficiency, key factor for driving international investors to Spain?'
- Marketing4Ecommerce interviewed David Baratech and Ruben Ferreiro, to talk about Yaba, a startup that buys, funds and gives support to the growth of business based on Amazon FBA
- K Fund interviewed Kintxo Cortes, country manager of Shopify in Spain
- Finanzia Connect interviewed Iker Marcaide of Zubi Labs
- Itnig interviewed Miquel Antolin of Freshly Cosmetics
- En.digital interviewed Ricardo Llamas
- UpBizor published a podcast on the topic of Neotec (CDTI)