Universal DX raised €14m. Unnax raised €7m. TravelPerk acquired US competitor.
January 18, 2021 • Issue #251
Si eres una mente inquieta y siempre das lo mejor de ti mismo, eres de los nuestros.
Mejora tus skills analíticas y de management con los cursos Agile Management, Data Visualization, Design Thinking y Product Analytics.
Solo 6 semanas, online y compatible con tu trabajo. 100% práctico con profesores top de compañías como Mango, Trivago, Jeff o Destinia.
Si los Reyes no te han traído formación, regálatela tú.
Startup funding news 💸
- Sevilla-based biotech firm Universal DX raised €14m
- Barcelona-based fintech startup Unnax raised €7m, led by Grupo Elektra
- Madrid-based mobility startup Meep raised €4m, led by Mexican fund Liil Ventures + Madrid-based semiconductor company A4Cell raised €1.2m from BeAble Capital and CDTI + Barcelona-based fintech startup Paymefy raised €1.2m, led by Encomenda Capital + Barcelona-based Classlife Education raised €800k, led by Faraday Venture Partners
- Madrid-based Clarity has raised funding from Blackrock, the US giant financial institution. Blackrock will use Clarity's software to analyse the societal and sustainability impact of investments. More details here
- Malaga-based customer success startup Frog raised €500k, led by BStartup
- Other rounds of funding: DIVE Medical, Ancora, Gravity Wave
M&A activity 🎊
- Barcelona-based corporate travel company TravelPerk announced the acquisition of YC-backed and US rival NexTravel. The acquisition, as CEO Avi Meir explains here, will help the company increase its presence in the lucrative US market
- Acciona announced the acquisition of moped manufacturer Silence. Also last week, Expansion published an article about the relationship Acciona has with startups and innovation in general
- Indra acquired 75% of Italian digital consulting firm SmartPaper
Investor & accelerator news 🚀
- Nauta Capital led a €1.5m seed round in German startup Bird Eats Bug
- Lanzadera welcomed 100 new startups to its various accelerator and incubation programs
- La Vanguardia interviewed Mar Hershenson, co-founder of Silicon Valley firm Pear.vc. Mar was born in Barcelona and has built in recent years an impressive portfolio
Startup news 💡
Educational institution EDEM has put together a series of management and analytics courses so that you can improve your skills. They're fully online, last six weeks and compatible with your day to day job. Check them out here
- Jesus Martinez has previously reported that shareholders of Glovo don't want Delivery Hero to have a bigger stake in the company and, thus, more control. DH owns almost 40% of Glovo. According to a new article, Glovo has held conversations with Alibaba with the goal of the Chinese ecommerce giant acquiring shares of Glovo in the secondary market and therefore achieving a strong internal rival to Delivery Hero
- Barcelona-based ecommerce company Deporvillage announced a significant increase in revenues in 2020. The company sold €120m worth of products, 106% more than in 2019, much higher than the €75m in sales Deporvillage was expecting to reach in 2020
- Index investing roboadvisor Indexa Capital disclosed that is surpassed €700m in assets under management and 31,000 clients
- Capchase is a Madrid and Boston-based company that helps SaaS companies turn their monthly recurrent revenue into annual recurring revenue. The company announced last week that that it has raised $60m in an “asset-backed credit facility” from i80 Group. That should allow Capchase to expand the number of startups it works with, as well as the amount of revenue prepayment it could potentially extend to each startup as well
- Fashion and lifestyle brand Minimalism disclosed its 2020 financials: €307k in sales, 45% growth vs. 2019 and 5,268 orders
- Snow covered all of Madrid 10 days ago, forcing logistic companies to stop most of their work and thus heavily affecting ecommerce companies. Wetaca was not as affected by the snow and they were able to successfully deliver 15,000 orders. In this article they explain how they did it
- Proptech startup Housfy said that it reached €6m in sales in 2020 and that it expects to get to €12m in 2021. It also says that it has participated in the sale of 2,000 properties since the foundation of the company
- Mobility startup Reby has expanded to a total of 12 cities in Spain and Italy during the pandemic. Business Insider interviewed Cristina Castillo, one of its co-founders about the company's plans
- German AI startup Symanto Research announced that it has chosen Valencia to open its first office in Spain where it plans to hire engineers and sales people
- German fintech startup N26 hired Marta Echarri to lead its operations in Spain. N26 has 600k clients in Spain and it expects to reach the 1m figure in 2020
- Startup profiles: Docuten, IUVA, Triporate
Interesting reads 🤓
- Erica Brescia is COO of GitHub. Prior to that she was the co-founder of Bitnami, the Sevilla and Silicon Valley-based startup acquired by VMWare. Erica published an op-ed in The Economist about distributed work: 'At software firms, many people already worked from home: What can the rest of the world learn from them?'
- Javi Santana of Tinibyrd wrote about professional services and how they approach them at the company
- Samuel Gil of JME wrote about AI
- David Bonilla of Manfred wrote about how to dismantle Facebook
- Spanish Fortnite streamer TheGrefg broke Twitch records with more than 2m concurrent viewers
- En.digital interviewed Nacho Rivera of Blue Banana
- MasQueStartups interviewed Barbara Roman of Nolegaltech
- The MBA is Dead interviewed Sam Ahmed of Nauta Capital
- Finanzia Connect interviewed Lourdes Alvarez de Toledo of JME
- UpBizor held a podcast about to why and how to implement OKRs
- Itnig interviewed Nacho Cofre about the sale of Parkimeter