Movo raised €13m. Pagantis acquired for €50m. Fintonic financials.
August 31, 2020 • Issue #231
Descubre una nueva forma de trabajar flexible y a tu medida.
Elige entre las diferentes opciones que te ofrece Impact Hub Barcelona y decide cómo y cuándo trabajar desde su coworking en 22@, en pleno distrito de la innovación.
Con la tarifa Respira dispondrás de acceso a la zona flexible 3 días a la semana, 4 horas al mes de salas de reuniones, y todos los servicios a tu disposición para impulsar tu negocio. Espacios profesionales llave en mano con la máxima flexibilidad, ahorro de costes y con todas las medidas necesarias para trabajar en un entorno seguro.
Si lo deseas, también podrás optar por despacho privado, puestos fijos y bonos por horas, y combinarlos como veas. Sin olvidar la oficina virtual, que te permite disfrutar de las ventajas de pertenecer a la Comunidad Impact Hub y usar el espacio unos días al mes. Visítalos sin compromiso!
Startup funding news 💸
- Madrid-based e-scooter startup Movo raised €13 million from Delivery Hero, Seaya Ventures and others
- Barcelona-based proptech startup ProntoPiso raised €1.6 million from its existing shareholders
- eSports club Wygers raised €620,000 through Fellow Funders
- Startups looking for funding: Energy Solar Tech, AgroSingularity
M&A activity 🎊
- Barcelona-based fintech startup Pagantis has been acquired by Australian company Afterpay for at least €50 million. According to Crunchbase, Pagantis had raised more than €72 million in funding
- Telefonica acquired security startup Govertis. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. Telefonica was already an investor in the startup through Wayra
Investor & accelerator news 🚀
- Portuguese VC firm Armilar Venture Partners wrote a post about their investment in Coruña-based software parallelization startup Appentra, in which we're also co-investors at K Fund
- Business Insider wrote a profile of Atresmedia and its investment activity in the past few years. The company claims to have invested more than €50 million in startups to date
- Guillem Sague of Nauta Capital wrote about how much time should VCs spend doing Due Diligence before issuing a Term Sheet
- Startup Oasis interviewed Pepe Borrell, VP International at Crowdcube
Startup news 💡
Impact Hub Barcelona has adapted its offering to the new normality we live in. They have a variety of plans for companies looking for office and meeting room flexibility, on top of the reliability of the Impact Hub brand. More info here.
- South Summit announced the name of the 100 startups that will participate in its 2020 edition
- Business Insider looked at various of the transactions that have taken place in the Spanish educational market in recent months, including the acquisition of ISDI, MasterD and the Odilo's funding round, and wonders if local edtech startups will grow its importance thanks to the relevance of Spanish as a language
- Last week it was Y Combinator's Summer 2020 demo day. At least one Spanish startup participated in the current batch, GitDuck
- Cinco Dias wrote about Fintonic's 2019 financials. The article says that the fintech startup had revenues of €1.7 million (-7% year-on-year) and is cutting back on losses, to €1.7 million (down 70% compared to the previous year). The article also says that Fintonic has not used the option it had to complete the acquisition of lending startup Zank
- B2B Marketers interviewed Flo Broderick, VP of Marketing at CARTO, about the impact of covid-19 on the business and the marketing department, as well as other tips about B2B marketing
- Business Insider took a trip down to memory lane and looked at what the founders of Tuenti are up to these days
- Yahoo wrote a profile of Juan de Antonio, Cabify's CEO
- According to Cinco Dias, Anbdank's Myinvestor fully replicates Indexa Capital's asset distribution offered to its roboadvisor customers
- Forbes wrote about Iristrace's COVID Patient Record Management mobile app, a cloud-based platform that one hospital in Spain is testing to provide better patient care regardless of unpredictable demands
- Startup profiles: Made of Genes, Mitto
Big company news 🏦
- I didn't see this one coming. According to El Pais, Barcelona's local government is planning to tax Amazon and other ecommerce giants for the use of public space and pollution
Interesting reads 🤓
- Miguel Arias (Wayra) wrote about how entrepreneurs should structure their investor reporting emails
- Product studio Product Hackers wrote about modular onboarding processes, what they're useful for and when they should be used
- Joe Haslam (IE University) wrote about the trend of SaaS-ification of many industries and sectors
- Retail Remix interviewed Laura Urquizu, CEO of RedPoints
- Mas Que Startups interviewed Camila Polensvaig, professor of entrepreneurship at Universidad Camilo Jose Cela. They also published a new episode of the 'Enseñame tu SaaS' series, featuring Metricool's Juan Pablo Tejela
- Itnig interviewed Sergi Sans to talk about digital marketing and SEO