Lots of investment activity. Lots of interesting reads. Fresh money from FondICO.
July 27, 2020 • Issue #227
Arengu is a low-code SaaS to build all the logic behind your signup forms, allowing developers and marketers to build better user onboarding processes and use internal resources efficiently.
Their ready-made templates help you build complex use cases in minutes: adaptive sign-up flows, passwordless flows, OTP email/SMS flows, social login, etc.
Easily build sign-up flows that users will love. Try it free now!
Startup funding news 💸
- Madrid-based biotech startup Atrys Health raised €35 million
- Cartagena-based Odilo raised $10 million, led by Swanlaab Venture Factory
- Valencia-based medtech startup QUIBIM scored €8 million for AI platform that detects diseases, including COVID-19, led by Adara Ventures and Amadeus Capital Partners
- Barcelona-based fintech startup Goin raised €5 million, led by Anthemis
- Valencia-based biotech startup Arthex raised €4.25 million from Invivo Ventures and Advent France
- Barcelona-based 3D printing startup BCN3D raised €2.8 million, led by Grupo Mondragon
- Barcelona-based health startup Made of Genes raised €2.4 million
- Barcelona-based Safe365 raised €2 million led by Mangrove Capital Partners
- Madrid-based edtech company Iron Hack raised €1.4 million from Creas Impacto, JME and BrightEye Ventures
- Other rounds of funding: Futboltek, AuthUSB
M&A activity 🎊
- One of Wales' leading life sciences firm, Creo Medical, has expanded with a £25 million acquisition of Spanish medical devices company Albyn Medical
- Playtomic announced the acquisition of Italian competitor PrenotaUnCampo
Investor & accelerator news 🚀
- The Spanish government, via the FondICO Global program, announced plans to invest as much as €2.5 billion in Spanish investment firms (VC, Private Equity, etc), as well as €500 million exclusively for startups.
- El Confidencial published a branded content article (sponsored by Sabadell) about the growth of crowdfunding in Spain in the past few years. According to data from Universo Crowdfunding, the sector generated €200 million worth of transactions in 2019, up 25% year-on-year
Startup news 💡
- Travel management platform TravelPerk announced the hiring of a new CMO, Tal Zohar, who previously spent a decade at Wix. Zohar also previously worked at Albatross, the API travel startup that Travelperk recently acquired
- Bolsas y Mercados Españoles (BME) and Barcelona Tech City signed an agreement to open a new space in the Catalan capital to house fintech startups
- Retail analytics platform Shoppermotion published an article explaining how its technology works: 'Deep dive into Shopping Mall Analytics'
- Talent agency Manfred published its financials for the month of June 2020
- Cinco Dias interviewed David Guasch, managing director of Stuart Spain. He talks in the interview about regulation and labour conditions of riders, as well as the company's performance in Spain in recent times
- Emprendedores talked to Eloi Gomez of Jeff about their evolution in the past few years and how they got to 2,000 stores around the world
- Influencer marketing platform Samyroad signed an agreement with Peoople to conduct campaigns on the latter
- Startup profiles: Gamersfy, Revoolt
Big company news 🏦
- It was quite an active week in the telco infrastructure sector, with several news related to Telxius and Cellnex. Jesus Martinez of La Informacion wrote about it here, here and here, and he also published an overview of the sector
- Amazon to open a new distribution and logistics centre in Emordà
- Bit of news in El Mercantil about Inditex online plans and how this affects its logistics
- ING's customers can now also use Bizum
Tech and policy 💂🏼♂️
- El Confidencial published an analysis of Spain's 'Plan España Digital 2025' program. What the goals are, how they can be achieved and what's been done so far
Interesting reads 🤓
- Jordi Perez Colome of El Pais wrote 'Cómo vivir de tus seguidores: una idea que cuesta afianzar en España', an overview of several Spanish projects that monetize their fan base, featuring Kloshletter, mixx.io and also Dealflow.es
- Ignacio Arriaga of Acumbamail wrote a Twitter thread about the topic of choosing a startup's tech stack and how such a decision impacts other areas of the company and its future
- Samuel Gil of JME published the first post of a series about Product Analytics
- Asier Marques, engineering manager at Packlink, wrote an article about meetings and efficiency. Asier also published 'The path to our Career Path'
- Xataka published an interesting article about the best way to learn how to program from an educational point of view: to study computer science or 'ingeniería informática', or to go the FP route
- Xataka also published another interesting article about what startups are doing to adapt to a remote-first environment, featuring Manfred, Marketgoo and others
- El Pais talked to various female entrepreneurs about the main challenges they see as a consequence of the current health and financial crisis
- B2B marketing consultancy Ivicuo published an in-depth guide about Google Analytics and Salesforce integration
- Mas Que Startups interviewed Fernando Prieto of Gato Salvaje Studio
- En.digital interviewed Daniel Seijo and Eduardo Ortiz of Fuell
- Itnig interviewed Oscar Valledor of Project Lobster
- Jordi Altimira held a webinar around the topic of 'Build to rent', featuring Badi, Aticco and others