Lots of funding, M&A and investor news. And a few startup profiles as a bonus.
March 2, 2020 • Issue #206
En Foodinthebox creemos en un nuevo modelo de alimentación personalizado, sostenible y adaptado a nuestra falta de tiempo. Si eres vegetariano, con diabetes, o quieres bajar el colesterol, comer sin glúten, ganar músculo o simplemente llevar una alimentación sana, la única manera de hacerlo es cocinando tu propia comida.
Queremos ponértelo fácil. Hemos creado más de 700 recetas para que elijas aquellas que se adapten a ti, y te enviamos cada semana los ingredientes en sus dosis exactas para que no tires comida, ni pagues de más.
Si quieres unirte al futuro de la alimentación, puedes probarnos utilizando el siguiente código de descuento de 20€ para tu primer pedido: DEALFLOW. ¡Te esperamos!
Startup funding news 💸
- Microverse, a Lambda School for the developing world, raised $3.2 million in seed funding from General Catalyst and Y Combinator. Microverse. Various SeedRocket business angels are also investors in the company
- Madrid-based Cobee raised €2.1 million for its employee benefits app and payment card. The round was co-led by Speedinvest and Target Global
- Madrid-based tax refund company Woonivers raised €1.6 million. The round was led by OneRagtime
- Barcelona-based fashion brand Tropicfeel raised €1.2 million on Crowdcube
- Navarra-based sports medicine startup Abanza Tecnomed raised €180,000 from Onza and Clave
- Startups looking for funding: WeFish, Kymatio, Libeen, Foodinthebox
M&A activity 🎊
- Telefonica closed the acquisition of Prosegur Alarmas for €305 million, paid in Telefonica shares (no cash). Prosegur Alarmas now owns 0.9% of Telefonica. More details about the acquisition here
- According to El Confidencial, PE fund Apax has hired investment banks BoFa and Morgan Stanley to take idealista public
- Indian company Affle announced the acquisition of Spanish adtech startup Mediasmart for €5.1 million. According to Crunchbase, Mediasmart had raised €3 million from Kibo Ventures, Inveready and Mobile Dreams Factory
Investor & accelerator news 🚀
- Nauta Capital disclosed a new investment in the UK: expert search startup techspert.io raised £3.76 million to advance technology leadership and fuel U.S. expansion
- Draper B1 (Business Booster) launched a new €30 million fund to invest between €150,000 and €250,000 in seed-stage companies
- Carlos Trenchs left Caixa after 16 years. Trenchs is now working on the launch of a new investment vehicle for Spain and Portugal
- Arcano announced the acquisition and integration of Valencia-based M&A boutique BlueBull
- GoHub announced the name of the seven startups that will participate in its next accelerator program
- FOND-ICO to invest €15 million in a fund created by French business loan provider October
Startup news 💡
Cadena Ser wrote about the meal delivery kit sector and profiled Spanish startup Foodinthebox, sponsors of this week's newsletter.
- La Informacion profiled Iker Marcaide, co-founder and former CEO of Flywire, the fintech startup that recently reached a valuation of €1 billion
- El Pais profiled Bernardo Quintero, co-founder of cybersecurity startup VirusTotal, which got acquired by Google a few years ago. VirusTotal became a new security division within Google, and its team remains in Malaga
- EU-Startups interviewed the founders of Loyal Guru, a startup building that's built a customer data platform for the supermarket industry. “Bootstrapping is key to any startup’s foundation”
- El Confidencial wrote about the increasing number of startups that deliver prepared food to Spanish customers. Wetaca, Apeteat, Tuperdicion, Glovo and others
- Long term room-rental platform Badi launched its service in NYC. Badi says its web and mobile app feature over 300,000 listings. After soft-launching in November of last year, it claims to be growing booking requests by 370%
- Clothing rental platform La Mas Mona is planning to launch a subscription-based product. For €49 a month, clients have access two at least two clothes per month from top brands
- Startup profiles: Sstrategy
En Foodinthebox hemos decidido dar el salto definitivo al B2C en en el 2020, y lo hemos querido hacer creando una comunidad de gente apasionada por la salud, la nutrición, la gastronomía y la tecnología. Por ello hemos decidido completar nuestra ronda de financiación de €450.000 con una ronda de crowdfunding con nuestros amigos de Fellow Funders. Antes de anunciarlo públicamente hemos querido compartirlo con vosotros.
Si estás en Madrid, hemos reservado 3 plazas para los suscriptores de esta newsletter para un desayuno este viernes 6 de marzo en el que Fabián León (ex-finalista Masterchef y co-fundador) y Álvaro Cuesta (co-fundador y CEO) te contarán el proyecto que hay detrás, y podrás ver un Showcooking con nuestras recetas. Puedes registrarte aquí.
Nos encantaría contar contigo, y sumar fuerzas para cambiar la vida de miles de personas que necesitan o quieren comer sano, pero no saben cómo, o no tienen tiempo. ¿Te animas?
Big company news 🏦
- Amazon plans to launch a new 100,000 m2 distribution centre in Madrid. The company says it will create more than 1,000 jobs. In the meantime, the controversy around Amazon Flex continues (here too )
- Just Eat announced that it's been profitable in Spain for three consecutive years. The company is working on the launch of a service to deliver prepared food from supermarkets
- Zalando plans to launch its first distribution centre in Spain
- MasMovil disclosed its 2019 financials: 8.9 million clients, €1.4 billion in revenue and €468 million in EBITDA
Tech and policy 💂🏼♂️
- The Spanish government announced its intention to regulate lootboxes in videogames