Sales numbers of Exoticca, Deporvillage and others. TiendAnimal got acquired.
January 20, 2020 • Issue #200
Esta newsletter está patrocinada por Bardo, una compañía de diseño y desarrollo de producto e innovación de Barcelona.
Bardo acaba de lanzar Bardo Academy, un sitio de e-learning sobre diseño y negocios y ofrecen un descuento a los lectores de Dealflow. Comienza con un curso online de Design Sprint donde aprenderás un método sencillo y aplicable en tu día a día para tomar mejores decisiones más rápido.
¡Apúntate hoy con un 30% de descuento!
Startup funding news 💸
- A Coruña-based electronic invoicing and digital signature startup Docuten raised €1.5 million from GoHub Ventures and Neocapital. GoHub wrote about the investment here
- Sevilla-based hospitality startup Le Room Service raised €620,000 from BStartup, Faraday Venture Partners and others
- Valencia-based SolverML raised €500,000 from GoHub Ventures
M&A activity 🎊
- Emefin, a Peruvian family office, has acquired TiendAnimal, the Spanish ecommerce and retail store business that sells products for pets. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. Emefin also owns pets brand Kiwoko. TiendAnimal had sales of €90 million in 2018 and EBITDA of €7.3 million
- Madrid-based Playtomic, sports venue booking app, acquired Playven and also announced that it has exceeded 1 million bookings last year and compound monthly growth rates of 25% in the number of sport venue reservations
Investor & accelerator news 🚀
- BBooster Ventures announced that it has sold its shares in Jeff to current shareholders of the company at a 40X multiple. BBooster was one of the first funds to back Jeff
- Samaipata Ventures disclosed an investment in French property management company Matera. The startup announced last week a Series A investment of $11.2 million led by Index Ventures
- Latinia, a Spanish software vendor specialized in infrastructure product development in the financial services industry, has become according to reports one of the most active startup investment firms in Latam
- Mona Müller of German VC Senovo published a piece about their perspective and thoughts on the Spanish startup ecosystem
- Adara Ventures wrote about their decision to lead Beonprice's €2.5 million round
- Cinco Dias put together a list of all the startups that will participate in Lanzadera's new accelerator batch
- European startup publication Sifted wrote 'Will 2020 be the year that Spanish venture capital lifts off?'. The article includes the opinion of various local investors on the current state of the sector
Startup news 💡
Bardo is a Barcelona-based company that designs and builds innovative products from sketch to launch, helping companies jump-start their digital transformation and making processes more efficient. Find out more about what they have to offer here.
- Sports ecommerce site Deporvillage published its 2019 financials: sales of €60 million, profitable and 700,000 orders
- Travel startup Exoticca disclosed financial numbers for the 2019 calendar year: €48 million in gross sales (+113% year-on-year growth), margin of 22%, average ticket size of €1.750 and 150 employees
- According to an article in El Pais, Travelperk had sales of €44 million in 2018. The company now has more than 430 employees
- Business Insider looked at the current state of the e-scooter market in Spain. According to the publication, 2019 was a tough year for the sector due to theft, competition and local regulation
- Javier Escribano (CPO Ontruck) wrote about best practices after 18 months of using OKRs at Ontruck
- Data management startup Tinybird wrote about how they handle technical incidents and service disruptions
- Shoppermotion published a piece explaining how their software helps retail stores increase sales by better understanding customer behaviour data
- uSizy, developers of clothing size recommendation software, says that more than 100 ecommerce companies are using its engine. Of those 60% are international brands
- Digital library services provider Odilo won a government contract to give digital access to books to Holland's population
- Startup profiles: AR Vision, Together Price, agroSingularity
Bardo es una compañía de diseño y desarrollo de producto con sede en Barcelona y más de 10 años de experiencia. Si buscas planear un training o workshop sobre metodologías ágiles, design thinking, design sprint o innovación con tu equipo para comenzar el año, son el partner que necesitas.
Tech and policy 💂🏼♂️
- Francisco Polo is no longer the Spanish secretary in charge of the country's digital agenda. In the new government, there will be a secretary of digitalisation and AI, and another secretary of telecommunications and digital infrastructure
Interesting reads 🤓
- Javi Santana (Tinybird) wrote his predictions for the next decade
- Felix Lopez (Google) wrote about the need (or not) of managers
- Jorge Sancha (Tinybird) published 'Those improvements you are making? They might not be having any effect'
- Samuel Gil (JME VC) wrote about priorities: product vs. distribution and design vs. technology
- Itnig interviewed Jordi Romero of Factorial
- K Fund interviewed Pablo Postigo of Frontity
- En.digital interviewed Carlos Iglesias of Runroom
- Money Makers interviewed Daniel Dumïg of Asics' accelerator program TENKAN-TEN
- Acelerando Empresas interviewed Gregorio Lopez of Mox
- Gran Invento interviewed Diego Ballesteros of Bewe
- Tomas F. Serna interviewed Alex Bryszkowski of Vozelia