AXA and El Corte Ingles invest in neobank. Pulpomatic raised €5m. Ibex 35 companies don’t buy startups.
December 30, 2019 • Issue #197
This week's newsletter is brought to you by Talent Garden.
Talent Garden offers an unprecedented combination of creative coworking, an internal educational institution and industry-driven events to connect tech talents inside a network of campuses.
Founded in Italy in 2011, Talent Garden’s mission is to create local, vibrant, globally connected campuses that empower digital and tech communities. Today the company has a network of twenty-six campuses in eight countries (Albania, Austria, Denmark, Ireland, Italy, Lithuania, Romania, Spain).
These campuses are a base for ideas and collaborations to thrive, hosting a community of startups, agencies, corporate labs, freelancers, investors, media companies and students, who are all united by a like-minded vision for digital innovation.
If you want to know more about what Talent Garden has to offer, visit their website or their two locations in Madrid and Barcelona.
Startup funding news 💸
- MyInvestor is a Madrid-based neobank created by Andorra's Andbank, which owns 75% of the business. MyInvestor announced last week that it has raised an additional €20 million in funding. €10 million from Andbank and €10 million from El Corte Ingles and AXA
- Madrid and Mexico-based fleet management startup Pulpomatic raised €5 million from Swanlaab Venture Factory and Mexico Ventures. Evaristo Babe (SinDelantal) is one of the co-founders of the company, which claims to be doing more than €1 million in ARR
- Madrid-based telemedicine startup Ever Health raised €1 million from various investors
- Barcelona-based market research startup Zinklar raised €500,000
- Madrid-based foodtech startup Cocopi raised €190,000 via Startupxplore
M&A activity 🎊
- La Informacion looked at recent activity in the startup M&A market in Spain, following the acquisition of PlayGiga by Facebook. What's notable is that some of the bigger companies in Spain's IBEX 35 haven't been very active in terms of acquiring startups
- Gaea Inversion, a fund managed by Inveready, acquired a majority stake of Ticnova, the holding company behind computer electronics retail brands such as PC Box or Beep
- Fundacion Repsol acquired a 25,4% stake in last mile social delivery company Koiki
- Auth0 recently acquired Madrid-based Apility, a product built by Diego Parrilla. He tells more about the deal in this interview
Investor & accelerator news 🚀
- The Institut Valencià de Finances (IVF) announced that it provided €3 million in convertible debt to 13 Valencia-based startups throughout 2019
- Inveready to distribute €11 million to its investors (LPs or limited partners)
Startup news 💡
Talent Garden offers an unprecedented combination of creative coworking, an internal educational institution and industry-driven events to connect tech talents inside a network of campuses. If you want to know more about what Talent Garden has to offer, visit their website or their two locations in Madrid and Barcelona.
- EU-Startups interviewed André Jordão, co-founder and CEO of Barkyn, a Portuguese startup offering a personalised service for dogs. Barkyn has operations in Spain and has also raised funding from Basque investor All Iron
- Marketing automation startup BrainSINS has sold its technology assets to Customeer and will shut down. Co-founder Jose Carlos Cortizo explains why in this interview and podcast
- Barcelona's local government accused Idealista of xenophobia and the company published a strong press release against the accusations
- Cinco Dias interviewed Martin Varsavsky about his last startup Goggo Networks and other entrepreneurial topics
- Startup profiles: Omnia
Talent Garden is looking for a Barcelona Campus Launcher.
We are currently looking for a young and enthusiastic Campus Launcher who can take care of our Talent Garden campus in Barcelona. This person will be the heart and soul of the entire campus community, sales, event activities and daily operations, reporting directly to our Country Manager.
At Talent Garden, we work every day to achieve our dream: to create innovative places that allow the best digital talents to grow and create valuable connections on a global level. To do this we have one, big secret weapon: our team. Together we make the small hours, laugh, use hundreds of post-it, create dashboards and find ourselves celebrating the goals achieved.
Big company news 🏦
- El Pais interviewed Marc Berg, CEO of FreeNow (previously known as MyTaxi). FreeNow recently opened a software development centre in Barcelona, and that's one of the main topics of the conversation
Tech and policy 💂🏼♂️
- Madrid to ban the use of mobile phones inside schools
Interesting reads 🤓
- Miguel Arias wrote about his experience after two years at Wayra in "try to be the boss you want to have yourself"
- Tomas F. Serna launched a new podcast and in the first episode he interviewed Diego Parrilla of Apility, recently acquired by Auth0
- Itnig interviewed Vincent Rosso, former country manager of BlaBlaCar in Spain, business angel and currently co-founder of Consentio