Glovo could be raising at $1b valuation. Buguroo raised $11m. HolaLuz MAB debut.
December 2, 2019 • Issue #193
La newsletter de esta semana está patrocinada por iberoMEDIA.
Queremos convertirnos en tus compañeros de viaje a través del mundo del Marketing Digital. Ofrecemos soluciones para que tú y tu empresa estéis a la vanguardia de la transformación digital.
Si eres un freak de métricas como la tasa de conversión, CTR o ROI, y además apuestas por la organización y cuadros de mando, vamos a ser un equipo de diez.
Gracias a nuestra trayectoria conocemos la teoría y la práctica dentro de este mundo tan cambiante. Y no lo decimos nosotros. Lo dicen los más de 60 proyectos que han confiado en nosotros.
Contamos con oficinas en Madrid (The Four Business Tower Area) y Sevilla (Plaza Nueva). Tú nos dices dónde quedamos.
Startup funding news 💸
- According to La Informacion, Glovo could be in the middle of raising a new round of funding at a $1 billion valuation
- Madrid-based Buguroo raised $11 million led by Eleven Ventures and Seaya Ventures to detect banking fraud with deep learning and behavioral biometrics
- Pamplona-based startup Openbravo raised€1.4 million, led by Sabadell VC. Amadeus Capital and Adara Ventures also participated in the round
- Donosti-based drone company Alerion raised€1.2 million from Orza and Easo Ventures
- Valladolid-based health startup Amadix raised €1.2 million via The Crowd Angel
- Madrid-based edtech and fintech startup StudentFinance raised €1.1 million from Seedcamp, MustardSeed and business angels
- Madrid-based mortgage business Helloteca raised €700,000
Exit activity 🎊
- HolaLuz debuted on the Spanish MAB, reaching a valuation of more than €180 million
- Madrid-based logistics platform OnTruck acquired Barcelona-based Briver to increase its presence in Catalunya
Startup news 💡
If you're looking for an agency to help with your inbound marketing startup, you should take a look at what iberoMEDIA has to offer. Take a peak at some of their blog posts to understand how they work and how they can help your business.
- Malaga-based Freepik expects to reach €30 million in revenue and €15 million in EBITDA this year. The vector graphics company has 180 employees and hasn't raised any outside funding
- El Pais profiled Malaga-based payments startup Easy Payment Gateway. The company claims to have processed $2.5 billion in payments last year and to have reached €2 million in revenue, while aiming to become profitable in 2020
- Eldiario published an in-depth article about Wetaca's quest to eliminate plastic from its delivery boxes
- Xataka published a long profile of 42Madrid, the international free (for students) programming school launched this year in the Spanish capital with the help of Telefonica
- Travel startup Waynabox has a new CEO. Former CEO Pau Sendra explained the decision in a blog post
- Iker Marcaide, former CEO and co-founder of Flywire (Peertransfer), inaugurated its new project in Valencia, a Montessori school called La Pinada
- Chicisimo announced the “Fashion Taste API” to build a taste graph for each fashion retailer, and a taste profile of each fashion shopper
- Viagogo acquired StubHub from eBay, and La Informacion wonders how the movement could affect employees of StubHub (formerly Ticketbis) in Spain
- Spanish crowdlending startups lent more €70 million in the first six months of 2019
- Startup profiles: Obuu (logistics), WinDelivery (logistics)
iberoMEDIA está buscando Digital Account Executive en sus oficinas Madrid y Sevilla. Una persona dinámica, muy resolutiva y que quiera extender su experiencia en el mundo del marketing digital.
La persona se encargará de captación de nuevos clientes, la gestión del día a día de diferentes proyectos y cuentas, planteando estrategias digitales y llevándolas a la implementación en múltiples canales: social ads, emailing, content ads, display y SEM.
Puedes encontrar más detalles sobre el puesto aquí.
Big company news 🏦
- Telefonica announced last week a major reorg, affecting its local and international business and with a strong focus on its technological and infrastructure divisions. The company said that it might make more startup acquisitions in the near term
- The Spanish Defense Ministry banned Huawei devices from accessing its systems
- Orange launched its bank in Spain
- La Informacion interviewed Ignacio García-Legaz, head of Vodafone TV, and the man who said no to expensive football TV rights
- Energy company Naturgy to start acquiring customers via Amazon, with discounts of up to 10%
Tech and policy 💂🏼♂️
- Madrid's Supreme Court sentenced that Glovo's riders should be considered as employees instead of contractors. There's been several sentences in both directions in the past few years
- The Spanish government passed a law allowing it to shut down websites when it considers that they "pose a threat to the public"
Interesting reads 🤓
- R&D spending in Spain reached pre-financial crisis levels for the first time in years
- The use of face recognition cameras in Madrid is increasing
- David Bonilla (Manfred) wrote about Amazon's plans for its AWS data centre in Aragon
- Samuel Gil (JME) wrote about how to scale a B2B SaaS company
- Felix Lopez (Google) continued its series about the role of an engineering manager
- Jordi Altimira (Lanzame Capital) wrote about levers startups can use to reach profitability
- Caroline Lagergren (Expand To Spain) wrote that 'Spanish scaleups are not "just" about LATAM anymore'