Jobandtalent raised €70m. CoverWallet got acquired. HolaLuz to raise €30m at a €130m valuation.
November 25, 2019 • Issue #192
Últimos despachos en Impact Hub Picasso
Si buscas espacio de trabajo para tu equipo, ven a conocer Impact Hub Picasso. Situado a los pies de Torre Picasso, en la zona AZCA de Madrid, encontrarás el lugar perfecto en una ubicación premium.
Elige tu despacho para equipos de 6 a 12 personas desde €350 por persona. Dispondrás de salas para reunirte con clientes o impartir una formación, y espacios de eventos para organizar presentaciones o charlas.
Accederás a una variada programación y posibilidades de networking, además de una amplia gama de servicios para que solo tengas que preocuparte por tu negocio.
Únete a una red global de espacios de coworking, eventos y programas con impacto. Programa una visita y conoce la experiencia Impact Hub.
Startup funding news 💸
- Madrid-based employment platform Jobandtalent raised €70 million from Australian investor Seek and other backers. The company expects to reach €260 million in sales this year
- Barcelona-based entertainment startup Xceed raised €2.3 million from 360 Capital Partners and other investors
- Barcelona-based Broomx raised €2 million to keep expanding with its virtual reality projector
- Navarra-based wind technology company Nabrawind Technologies raised €1.1 million
- Barcelona-based jewelry subscription service Verone raised €500,000 from Reus Capital Partners and business angels
- Asturias-based startup SingularPrice raised funding
- Two new reports about the Spanish startup ecosystem were published last week, El Referente 's and Startupxplore 's
M&A activity 🎊
- Aon to acquire NYC-based CoverWallet, a digital insurance platform for small and medium-sized businesses. CoverWallet is headquartered in NYC and has offices in Madrid. The company is co-founded by Iñaki Berenguer, who's had his third exit in just seven years. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. Kibo Ventures is an investor in the company
- HolaLuz could be listed on the MAB as soon as this week. According to Cinco Dias, the company plans to raise €30 million at a €130 million valuation
- Comfica, a company that specializes in installing mobile and fibre networks, could list on the MAB next year. The company expects to reach €200 million in sales in 2020
Investor & accelerator news 🚀
- Javier Megias (co-founder of Startupxplore) to become the director of Bankinter's startup program
- Valencia Plaza published a long interview with Jon Uriarte of All Iron Ventures
Startup news 💡
If you're looking for a coworking space in the north of Madrid, take a look at Impact Hub's new space in Azca. For more info, click here.
- Cabify published its financials for 2018 in Spain. Revenues of €3.5 million (30X year-on-year) and loss of €209,000 (down from €3.3 million in 2017)
- El Pais profiled cybersecurity startup Blueliv. The company does €5 million in annual revenues and grows at 80% year-on-year
- Sifted profiled SamyRoad: From Fyre Festival to fintech – Spanish startup SamyRoad on the boom of influencer marketing
- El Pais looked at the online mortgage market and how various startups are increasingly driving growth in the mortgage segment
- Uber to start offering taxi services in its app in Spain. Cabify already does this
- According to El Español, Netflix has more than 3 million clients in Spain, becoming the second largest on-demand video platform behind Movistar
- According to Valencia's Startup Association, startups in the city employ more than 4,500 people, up 125% compared to the previous year
- La Vanguardia profiled bakery marketplace Bakering. The company claims to have between €15,000 and €20,000 in monthly sales
- American fintech startup Plaid, which provided API products to developers, announced that it's launching in Spain
- Glovo has improved its rider health insurance coverage
- Google unveiled its gaming console Stadia last week. El Confidencial talked to Madrid-based gaming studio Tequila Works about the launch, their involvement with the new platform and their thoughts on streaming games
- Italian travel startup WeRoad launched its services in Spain
Hack4Cities es un punto de encuentro donde startups, corporaciones e instituciones trabajarán de forma colaborativa en los principales retos de la Ciudad Sostenible. ¿Te apuntas?
Si te preocupan los objetivos de desarrollo sostenible y trabajas en ámbitos como: movilidad, digitalización industrial, energía o medio ambiente… ¡Inscríbete aquí ! Buscamos: managers, directores, diseñadores, programadores, técnicos, trabajadores de instituciones públicas…
Organizado por MIDE (Madrid Innovation Driven Ecosystem) e Impact Hub Madrid, el encuentro tendrá lugar los próximos 28 y 29 de noviembre en Impact Hub Gobernador (Calle Gobernador, 26).
¡Inscríbete aquí antes del miércoles!
Big company news 🏦
- El Corte Ingles has integrated WeChat Pay to make life easier for Chinese customers
- Telefonica reached an agreement with AT&T to use its network in Mexico, which could represent savings of €230 million for the Spanish telco
- Alphabet’s Loon signs deal with Telefonica to provide internet to remote parts of the Amazon
- Telefonica to join blockchain-focused initiative Hyperledger
Tech and policy 💂🏼♂️
- If the Spanish government approves its proposed Google tax, Spanish newspapers could pay up to €2.7 million in additional annual taxes
Interesting reads 🤓
- According to a survey, only 1% of Spaniards buy their groceries online
- El Confidencial interviewed Eduardo Manchón (Panoramio, Mailtrack) about the relative role that luck and hard work play in good entrepreneurial outcomes
- Samuel Gil (JME) wrote about 'Predictable Revenue' and building outbound sales teams
- Caroline Lagergren (Expand to Spain) wrote 'Spanish women-led startups get access to more VC cash'
- Minimalism interviewed the founders of Blue Banana Brand
- Telefonica's new podcast Scale This Up interviewed Miguel Arias (Wayra) and Javier Perea (Smart Protection)
- K Fund interviewed Wences Garcia of marketgoo
- Marie Marks interviewed Oscar Valledor of The Lobster Project
- Valencia Plaza interviewed Pere Duran of 4YFN
- Itnig interviewed Juan Castillo of Guruwalk
- En.digital interviewed Enrique Dans