ID Finance raised €5.7m. ENISA’s performance. More details of Ebury’s acquisition.
November 19, 2019 • Issue #191
Emprendedores, todavía estáis a tiempo de presentar vuestra candidatura a la 13ª edición de los Premios EmprendedorXXI, cuyo objetivo es identificar a jóvenes empresas de base tecnológica y digital, con alto potencial de crecimiento y modelos de negocio escalables, e innovadores y con domicilio en España o Portugal.
Los Premios EmprendedorXXI, impulsados por el grupo CaixaBank, a través de DayOne, y ENISA repartirán cerca de €525.000 en premios durante esta edición. Además de obtener una dotación económica de hasta €15.000€ por ganador, los ganadores y finalistas accederán a programas de formación en algunos de los principales polos de innovación del mundo como Silicon Valley o Cambridge, además de la posibilidad de hacer networking a nivel internacional.
Además del premio territorial, en esta edición, se galardonará a las mejores empresas de los sectores AgroFood (sector agroalimentario), Health, Senior (servicios para gente mayor), Mobility (soluciones de movilidad), PropTech (servicios para el sector inmobiliario) e Impact (proyectos vinculados a los objetivos de desarrollo sostenible).
¡Queremos ser el impulso de tu empresa! ¡Participa antes del 4 de diciembre!
Startup funding news 💸
- Barcelona-based fintech company ID Finance raised€5.7 million via Crowdcube
- Madrid-based fintech startup Bnext closed its equity crowdfunding campaign with more than €3.3 million raised
- Salesforce invested $1.5 million in a CRM-focused teaching project in collaboration with Madrid-based education program ISDI
- Madrid-based fintech startup Micappital raised€750,000
- A Coruña-based sports SaaS platform Siguetuliga raised€500,000 from various business angels
- Madrid-based regulatory SaaS startup Hekitus raised€500,000 from Inveready, Encomenda and Easo
- Ecommerce startup Hemper raised€280,000
M&A activity 🎊
- La Informacion has more details about Ebury's acquisition by Santander. The London-based company will continue with its plans to IPO at some point, will compete with Santander's FX services in Europe and collaborate with the giant bank in Latam. Apparently, Santander doesn't have a preferential option to buy the remaining stake it does not own of Ebury
- ENISA disclosed performance numbers, including potential losses and jobs generated by the companies it has invested in
- Biotech-focused equity crowdfunding company Capital Cell has helped health startups raise more than €10 million
- Wavegarden is a Donosti-based company that builds an artificial wave generator for people to practice surf. Wework acquired a minority stake in Wavegarden a few years ago for €17 million. Now Wework is trying to sell the company
- According to La Informacion, private equity firm KKR is increasingly interested in investing in Spanish tech companies
- US investment firm is apparently considering merging Spanish businesses Kiwoko and TiendAnimal
- US company Verra Mobility acquired Madrid-based Pagatelia, the company behind the Via T payment technology in Spanish motorways
Investor & accelerator news 🚀
- Afi and Bolsa Social to launch a €25 million social impact venture capital firm
- Swedish e-scooter company VOI announced an $85 million round with participation of Spanish fund JME
Startup news 💡
DayOne Caixabank is once again looking for startups to join the 13th edition of its ‘Premios Emprendedor XXI’ contest. There’s a combined €525,000 to be distributed amongst the winners. Applications are open until December 4th
- El Confidencial interviewed serial entrepreneur Martin Varsavsky, to talk about his last two biotech companies in the fertility space: Prelude Fertility and Overture Life
- La Vanguardia profiled Filmin, the indie movie platform born in Barcelona that expects to reach €6 million in revenues this year and profit of €400,000 to €500,000
- Barcelona-based 3D printing company BCN3D announced Epsilon, a new generation of 3D printers combining enhanced performance, industrial-grade reliability and full accessibility
- Distributed SaaS company Marketgoo is closing its office. In this post they explain why
- Madrid-based Shoppermotion published an article about category managers and the future of in-store analytics
- MVNO Digi reached 1.72 million customers in Q3 2019, up 42% year-on-year, and €137 million in revenue
- El Referente interviewed the founders of Cordoba-based Genially, a SaaS product to build interactive presentations with more than 2.5 million users
- Startup profiles: Cocopi (foodtech), Broomx (virtual reality), Hack a Bos (edtech)
SmartProtection is a technology based solution to fight piracy on the internet.
Our anti-piracy platform detects and removes piracy on the internet, searching continuously for infringements and requesting its removal in an automated and effective way using technologies like NLP, Computer Vision, ML/AI and more.
We are a Series A VC-backed SaaS startup with an incredible team of +80 people based in Madrid. We are looking for a Sr. UI/UX Designer to join the Product department and their mission of taking our products to the next level.
Big company news 🏦
- Expansion interviewed the director of Milanuncios and Vibbo to talk about the classifieds sector in Spain and competition from Wallapop and others
- Sanitas to start selling health insurance products on Amazons
- High volume of ecommerce deliveries as a result of the growth of Amazon and other platforms is causing traffic congestion in cities. In Madrid, a group is asking the local government to create distribution centres in certain neighborhoods to combat this
- La Informacion looked at Telefonica's restructuring plans after layoffs affecting 2,600 people
- Vodafone lost€460 million in revenue this year
- AliExpress to open its second store in Spain, in Barcelona
Interesting reads 🤓
- Sifted wrote a profile of Miguel Vicente (Letsbonus, BCN Tech City, Antai)
- Felix Lopez (Google) continues with its series about the role of engineering managers, with part one and two about performance reviews
- David Roch (Marketgoo) wrote about 'learnings from hiring and scaling a SaaS team'
- Alejandro Martin of Zara.com wrote about 'talking to your database'
- Caroline Lagergren of Expand to Spain wrote about 'European VC's increase presence in Spain looking for startup investments'
- En.digital interviewed Victor Rodado and Pepe Martin of Minimalism
- K Fund interviewed Laura Urquizu, CEO of Red Points
- Marie Marks interviewed Esteve Lombarte, CEO of Acqustic
- Itnig interviewed Alejandro Fresneda of Mr Noow
- SeedRocket interviewed Albert Serrano of Veepee Spain
- Lunes Inspiradores interviewed Roberto Lifante of TK Analytics