RavenPack raised $10m. SumaCRM sold for €2.1m. Gigas acquires Portuguese business. AWS in Spain.
November 4, 2019 • Issue #189
Se ha abierto la convocatoria para la 13ª edición de los Premios EmprendedorXXI, cuyo objetivo es identificar a jóvenes empresas de base tecnológica e innovadoras que, habiendo tenido éxito en sus primeras etapas de desarrollo, tienen ante sí un ambicioso plan de crecimiento, siendo capaces de generar riqueza para el territorio, empleados y clientes.
Los Premios EmprendedorXXI, impulsados por el grupo CaixaBank a través de DayOne, repartirán cerca de €525.000 en premios durante esta edición. Además de obtener una dotación económica de hasta €15.000€ por ganador, estos premios ofrecen la oportunidad de asistir a programas de formación en algunos de los principales polos de innovación del mundo como Silicon Valley, además de la posibilidad de hacer networking a nivel internacional.
Desde su creación en 2007, los Premios EmprendedorXXI han premiado a más de 360 empresas y han repartido más de €5,2 millones en premios y acciones de acompañamiento, tanto en España como en Portugal.
¡Queremos ser el impulso de tu empresa! ¡Participa antes del 4 de diciembre!
Startup funding news 💸
- Malaga and NYC-based RavenPack raised $10 million from GP Bullhound. RavenPack provides data and insights software solutions for financial institutions
- Barcelona-based online supermarket Ulabox raised€1 million in convertible debt from Avansça
- Malaga-based logistics startup Happy Box raised€400,000 via Crowdcube
- Home caring startup Neki raised€230,000 via Ship2B
M&A activity 🎊
- Madrid-based cloud hosting provider Gigas acquired Portuguese company AHP for at least €1.7 million
- Madrid-based SumaCRM acquired for €2.1 million by Belgian company Efficy. SumaCRM was doing €47,000 in MRR. Tomas Santoro wrote about the final stages of the deal here
- Madrid-based language learning startup Lingbe acquired by Chinese company italki. Terms of the deal were not disclosed
Investor & accelerator news 🚀
DayOne Caixabank is once again looking for startups to join the 13th edition of its ‘Premios Emprendedor XXI’ contest. There’s a combined €525,000 to be distributed amongst the winners. Applications are open until December 4th
- FOND-ICO launched its 12th call for applications, in order to invest directly in Spanish Venture Capital and other investment firms
- The Hop, the accelerator program by Estrella Galicia, announced the name of the 12 companies that will participate in its latest batch
- El Mundo looked at the kind of startups Lanzadera and Juan Roig invest in, featuring
Startup news 💡
- El Pais wrote a profile of Carlota Pi and HolaLuz. The energy startup aims to IPO on the MAB in late November and raise between €30 and €40 million at a €100 million valuation. HolaLuz has 200,000 clients, adds 400 clients per day, and had sales of €180 million in 2018
- Jorge Izquierdo to become CEO of Aragon. The company also made a bunch of announcements, listed here
- Mr Jeff becomes simply 'Jeff' and turns into a services super app, following the acquisition of Spanish startup Entrenarme and signing a partnership with Oh My Cut!
- Wallapop got hacked and requested all users to change their passwords
- Startup profiles: Frikitrip (travel), Trucksters (logistics), Hopu (smart cities), Clarity (impact investing)
Nomo is a fintech startup that has built a product and service to help freelancers manage their businesses, making dealing with taxes and accounting super easy.
The company is looking to hire a Full Stack Developer (Node.js & React Native) to be based in its Barcelona headquarters. You'll report to the Tech Lead and you'll be part of a team responsible for designing and developing the product's main features. For more information and to apply, click here.
Big company news 🏦
- Amazon AWS plans to open a new infrastructure region in Spain in late 2022 or early 2023. Werner Vogels (CTO of Amazon) wrote about the announcement here
- MasMovil continues with its strong financial performance. The company posted sales of €1.2 billion in the first nine months of 2019 and EBITDA of €337 million. The company is consdering shutting down its MVNOs
- Orange's sales in Spain decreased by 2.5% in the third quarter of 2019
- Spanish fashion company Tendam (Cortefiel, Springfield, etc) increased its online sales by 39% in the second quarter of 2019. Ecommerce now accounts for 8.9% of the firm's total revenues (€30 million of €340 million)
- HBO paid€108,000 in taxes in 2018 in Spain, up from €45,000 in the previous year. The company reported sales of €3.5 million
- Galician aluminum manufacturer Cortizo to open a technological centre in Galicia
- IWG (Regus) who also operates a variety of coworking spaces in Spain, talked to La Informacion about the current state of the market
Tech and policy 💂🏼♂️
- Github removed Tsunami Democràtic’s APK after a takedown order from Spain
Interesting reads 🤓
- El Pais looked at social media activity by the different Spanish political parties ahead of the 10-N general elections
- Javier Escribano of OnTruck ran a survey about the current state of Product Management in Spain. He published the results here, including info on salaries, areas of improvement, structure of teams, etc
- Jorge Gomez Sancha (Tinybird): 'La doble apuesta de los corporates con las startups' and 'Pruebas de Valor y cómo las hacemos en Tinybird'
- Felix Lopez (Google): 'El rol del Engineering manager: Ayudando a crecer sin quemar.'
- Forbes interviewed Julio Pernia of Bdeo
- K Fund interviewed Ernesto Funes of Paradigma Digital and Stratio
- En.digital interviewed Luis Diaz del Dedo of Product Hackers
- Itnig interviewed Cesar Migueláñez of Factorial
- Lunes Inspiradores interviewed Alex Huertas of Northweek
- SeedRocket interviewed Ramon Blanco of Bewater Funds