Chify acquired by Vinted. JME announces third fund. Santander, BBVA and Telefonica invest in startups.
October 21, 2019 • Issue #187
Nomo es la primera fintech dirigida a autónomos que unifica en una única app todas las herramientas que le ayudan a gestionar su negocio (contabilidad y impuestos), junto con los mejores servicios financieros adaptados a sus necesidades.
¿Qué ventajas ofrece? Digitalización de tickets y facturas, visualización del estado del negocio, agregación de la cuenta bancaria para conciliar facturas, previsión, preparación y presentación de impuestos vía gestoría digital desde el móvil, entre muchos otros.
Aprovecha ahora para suscribirte con el código NOMODEALFLOW y obtendrás un 15% de descuento en el Plan mensual o un 32% de descuento en el anual. No te lo pienses y contrata el servicio de gestoría desde 27,1€.
Startup funding news 💸
- Valencia-based Fundsfy raised €2.2 million from undisclosed investors
- Barcelona-based fintech ID Finance secured €1.7 million within minutes on Crowdcube
- London-based but Spanish founded startup Cledara raised pre-seed funding of $900,000 from BBVA and Anthemis
- Hardware manufacturer Neki raised €180,000 on Startupxplore
- Security startup PrivacyCloud raised a seed round led by BBVA
- Fintech startup Bnext is looking to complement its $25 million round with an equity crowdfunding campaign on Crowdcube
- There have been a bunch of fintech deals in Spain in recent weeks and months. BlackFin looked at activity in the local market
M&A activity 🎊
- Fashion marketplace Chicfy has been acquired by Lithuanian startup Vinted. La Informacion says the price of the transaction was less than €10 million
- How Spanish scooter startup Koko went from market leader to exit in just 11 months
- SumaCRM continues to write about its exit process. This time they shared a draft version of the M&A contract
Investor & accelerator news 🚀
- Madrid-based VC firm JME announced a new €60 million fund and the opening of an office in Barcelona
- Bankia announced the launch of a €20 million fund to invest in fintech startups in the next five years
- Telefonica invested in US-based Altiostar's Open RAN Technology to accelerate network transformation
- Santander InnoVentures led a $39m investment in German debt marketplace CrossLend
- Cayetana Hurtado promoted to principal at London-based VC firm Balderton
Startup news 💡
Nomo is a Spanish fintech startup aimed at freelancers that want to have their finances under control. Learn how and get a discount with the NOMODEALFLOW code [Ad]
- Online and offline pet retailer TiendAnimal expects to reach sales of €120 million this year and a gross profit of €10 million. The company
- At the Spatial Data Science Conference, Carto presented the recently launched Data Observatory 2.0, a new platform powered by Google BigQuery to discover and consume location data for spatial analysis
- Mariano Rodriguez, co-founder of Barcelona-based Beamer, wrote a post about the startup's journey to $1 million in ARR with just 5 employees
- Spanish video on demand platform Filmin has grown substantially in the past few years despite increased competition from Netflix, HBO and others. The company expects to reach €4 million in profit this year
- Ara wrote a profile of Wikiloc, the Girona-based GPS location-sharing community. The company has more than 5 million users and in 2017 posted revenues of €750,000 with just 13 employees
- El Mundo profiled Miguel Carranza, co-founder of San Francisco-based app subscription management startup RevenueCat
- El Español interviewed the founders of Platanomelon, a Spanish ecommerce sex shop
- Emprendedores wrote a profile of fashion ecommerce brand Brava Fabrics
- Uber launched a new offering aimed at Spanish SMBs and corporates. The company's Spanish director, Juan Galiardo was also interviewed last week to talk about regulation and the local market
- WeWork is in trouble. La Informacion looked at the company's traction and financials in the Spanish market
- Carlos Sanchez (OnTruck): 'The 10 rules that are helping OnTruck fix internal communications'
- Startup profiles: Nespra, Consentio, Factic Brain
At BoB we try to help travelers enjoy their trip by carrying less luggage and weight. We make their luggage check-in at their home and deliver their bags at their destination.
We are building the operations team to scale our operations! We are looking for an Operations Manager that will be responsible for building from the ground up the right processes that will allow us to scale our service from few Spanish cities to many cities all over the world!
If you have a strong combination of analytical skills and logistics experience, you're incredibly passionate about process improvements and you want to grow in a fast-paced tech start-up, take a look at our job offer here.
Big company news 🏦
- TripAdvisor paid €82,000 in taxes in Spain last year, based on revenues of €2.25 million
- Spanish fashion brand Scalpers shuts down retail stores in the UK and Netherlands, expects ecommerce sales to represent 20% of total revenues next year
Interesting reads 🤓
- How Sevilla FC's Monchi relies on big data to make decisions and find new players
- Nada Es Gratis looked at the impact (or not) of Airbnb on Madrid's property rental market
- Felix Lopez (Google): 'The role of an engineering manager'
- Samuel Gil (JME): 'Network effects'