HolaLuz to IPO. Google to open security program in Malaga. Whisbi and World Mastery raised €5m and €3m.
October 14, 2019 • Issue #186
GetWith takes a fresh approach to hiring – no blind spamming or throwing candidates at companies. We handpick developers who fit your project and company long term.
Our candidates are not just talented and hardworking, but also bright humans with great attitudes. And the GetWith process is so smooth, efficient and personal that our clients always come back for more. Get in touch at GetWith.io
Startup funding news 💸
- Barcelona-based conversational commerce platform Whisbi raised €5 million. The round was led by Cipio Partners along existing investors Active & BDMI
- Barcelona-based edtech startup World Mastery raised €3 million Series A funding round led by Nauta Capital
- Barcelona-based biotech startup VEnvirotech raised €2 million from a family office
- Influencer marketing platform SamyRoad signed an agreement with Santander's Fondo Smart to have access to €2 to €15 million in funding
- Madrid-based food tech startup ApetEat raised €1 million from All Iron Ventures and Big Sur Ventures
- Sports betting platform Mondobets raised €1 million via equity crowdfunding
- Madrid-based HR startup Erudit AI raised €455,000 from The Venture City
M&A activity 🎊
- Energy startup Holaluz is going public. The company expects to IPO on the MAB (Mercado Alternativo Bursatil) in the next few months, while raising €40 million. Holaluz closed 2018 with €180 million in sales, positive EBITDA and 176 employees
- Antevenio announced the acquisition of online marketplace agency B2Marketplace
Investor & accelerator news 🚀
- Spanish VC firm Conexo Ventures completed a first closing of €15 million and has made three investments out of its first fund (Bnext, Buguroo and Kushki)
- Wayra to shut down its accelerator programs and offices in Mexico, Chile, Peru and Venezuela
- Lanzadera and Abanca to collaborate on a new fintech acceleration program
- El Español interviewed Yolanda Perez, head of BStartup, Sabadell's accelerator program
- Ship2B announced the name of the 10 startups that will participate in its 8th accelerator batch. So did Cuatrecasas with its legal accelerator program
Startup news 💡
Looking to hire developers? As a developer, are you thinking about changing jobs? If yes, take a look at GetWith's new hiring approach
- Barcelona-based fintech ID Finance launched a crowdfunding campaign after 100% YoY revenue growth. The company is on track to double its revenues to €90 million revenue this year
- Madrid-based roboadvisor Indexa Capital announced that it has reached profitability one year ahead of what was scheduled. The company has €256 million of assets under management will also lower fees to some of its customers
- Revista Emprendedores profiled Freepik, the Malaga-based bootstrap startup that does more than €17 million in annual sales
- Citi's Commercial Bank taps Barcelona-based fintech startup Kantox for customised paymentstech
- El Pais wrote a profile about Murcia-based eSports startup Streamloots. The company offers monetisation options to gaming streamers
- Barcelona-based Reloadly is ready to solve mobile top-up needs worldwide after raising $750,000 in seed round. The company claims to do $1.3 million in ARR
- Proptech startup Housfy says it plans to sell 2,000 houses this year
- La Informacion looked at the financials of Filmin and Rakuten TV, the two Spanish companies competing with Netflix. Filmin has fewer revenues but is profitable
- Minimalism continues with its transparency efforts, publishing its financials and other relevant metrics. So did talent agency Manfred
- El Español profiled Spanish crowdfunding platform Stockcrowd. The company claims to have generated €41 million in investments since its foundation
- Welcome to the Jungle is a French startup that offers HR and recruitment solutions to startups. The company's Spanish country manager, Sergio Balcells, was interviewed last week
- Startup profiles: ICIRED, Typs, Coemtra, Bag on Board
GetWith is an IT hiring agency that is determined to re-humanize recruitment. We’ve had enough of the silly hit-and-run tactics that have taken over the industry.
Developers are fleeing from LinkedIn, but don’t know where to turn. They are sick of being hunted down and sprayed with job leads by recruiters. Companies need talented developers in order to thrive. Talented developers need great companies in order to thrive. It’s pretty simple. And we’re making it happen over at GetWith.io
Big company news 🏦
- Google launches the first edition of Growth Lab in Spain, a support program for consolidated companies
- Google chooses Malaga to open an accelerator program focused on security startups
- The first details of Renfe's Renfe-as-a-Service platform were unveiled by El Español. The company aims to unify in a single app various modes of transportation
- What Alibaba does to pay fewer taxes in Spain
Tech and policy 💂🏼♂️
- There have now been as many sentences in Spain that claim that Glovo or Deliveroo's riders should be considered employees as the ones that say they are contractors
Interesting reads 🤓
- The Generalitat of Catalunya published a report on 'The artificial intelligence in Catalonia'
- Jesus Monleon (SeedRocket, Offerum, Chicfy): 'The ilusion of growth and the effects of churn'
- Roberto Perez (Cabify): 'Cabify Product 5 years later…'
- Felix Lopez (Google): 'Conflict resolution'
- Minimalism interviewed Javier Jimenez of Tot-em
- IE University interviewed Luis Fernando Robledano about life as an entrepreneur after suffering a stroke
- K Fund interviewed Sergi Garcia, head of Product Marketing at Red Points
- En.digital interviewed Javier Larrea of Uxer School
- Itnig interviewed Juanjo Mata