Lookiero raised €19m. Telefonica buys 50% of Prosegur Alarms. Just Eat acquires Canary Island business.
September 23, 2019 • Issue #183
Cink Coworking ofrece espacios de trabajo flexible a autónomos, startups, pymes y corporaciones en diferentes ubicaciones relevantes de Madrid. Una forma eficiente y sencilla para ofrecer a tus empleados mucho más que un espacio de trabajo.
Con Cink tu equipo trabajará desde un entorno innovador y colaborativo por una única tarifa al mes, con todos los servicios necesarios para desarrollar tu día a día; incluyendo salas de reunión para atender a tus clientes y zonas comunes para hacer networking y conocer al resto de empresas que comparten el espacio.
Toda la información en la web de Cink.
Startup funding news 💸
- Delivery Hero is one of the main investors in Glovo. The German company previously owned 15% of the business but recently got diluted to 13%. La Informacion looked into it and the fundraising plans of Glovo
- Telco operator Ahimas raised €68 million from Inveready and Kartesia
- Bilbao-based Lookiero closed a $19 million funding round led by London-based VC MMC Ventures, with support from All Iron Ventures, Bonsai Partners, 10x and Santander Smart. Lookiero offers an online personal shopping service for clothes and accessories
- Barcelona-based Mitto, a debit card and app designed for “Generation Z” teens, has raised €2 million in seed funding from Banc Sabadell, Athos Capital and other investors
- Barcelona-based mortgage comparison site Trioteca raised €1 million from various investors, including Lanai Partners, Sprin and Arnal
- Barcelona-based hospitality startup Amenitiz raised €620,000 seed round
- Barcelona-based HR startup Woffu raised €300,000 from Faraday Venture Partners and Busy Angels. The startup says it has more than €155,000 in MRR
- Madrid-based ecommerce startup GreyHounders raised €200,000 from G8i and METXA Inversiones
- Madrid-based fintech company Kapital100 raised funding from Kalonia Venture Partners
M&A activity 🎊
- Telefonica announced the acquisition of 50% of Prosegur's alarm business for €300 million
- Last week we shared a post about SumaCRM's acquisition process. The company decided to be as transparent as possible with the process and last week they didn't disappoint, with the signing of the LOI
- Spanish competition regulator CNMV approved the acquisition of Canary Islands food delivery company Canary Flash by Just Eat. Terms of the deal remain undisclosed
- Softec Internet, a Santander-based tech company, sold its cloud hosting business to Holland group Total Webhosting Solutions
Investor & accelerator news 🚀
- Seems like Barcelona-based Nekko Capital is getting closer to officially unveiling its new €50 to €60 million fund. Palladium Hotel Group, Mutua Madrileña and IVF are some of the investors in the fund
- French recruiting startup Next Station raised €1 million from Spanish investment firm Cabiedes & Partners
- Santander Innoventures invested in Canadian identity verification startup Trulioo
- Cemex Ventures invested in US construction startup GoFor
Startup news 💡
If you're a Madrid-based startup or business looking for office pay, you should consider Cink Emprende as an option. They have a great group of coworking spaces around Madrid and a special (and limited) offer. Check them out!
- Mr Jeff continues its Asia expansion with the launch of its first franchises in the Philippines
- Madrid-based cloud hosting startup Gigas posted an EBITDA of €1.28 million in the first six months of 2019
- Reverse logistics (return of products) can be a big headache for ecommerce businesses. El Pais talked to various of them about how they handle them. Absent from the article is Returnly, a US/Spanish startup that works exactly on this issue
- Barcelona-based Red Points announced the hiring of former Workday executive Lena Shishkina as CFO/COO
- Spitche is a Barcelona-based startup turning Customers Into Ambassadors. Its CEO, Kevin Markowski, was interviewed by Barcelona Startup News
- Nine years later, Mumumio is shutting down. The company explained why in a blog post
- La Voz de Galicia profiled Zero, the new project out of bootstrapped sustainability SaaS platform Teimas
- Portuguese startup Barkyn chosen by Google Campus Madrid to participate in its residency program. Barkyn has raised funding from Bilbao-based fund All Iron Ventures
- The Next Web published mapped Valencia's startup ecosystem
- Glassdoor officially launched in Spain. The US startup allows employees to rate companies
- Startup profiles: Trazable, Myhixel, Plock
At BoB we try to help travelers enjoy their trip by carrying less luggage and weight. We make their luggage check-in at their home and deliver their bags at their destination.
We are a distributed team, with HQ in Madrid. We are looking for a Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) that helps us reaching millions of customers on B2C campaigns. If you have handled large B2C budgets, both online and offline, and you are interested in being part of our growing team, take a look at our job offer here.
Big company news 🏦
- Telefonica and Atresmedia announced a partnership to compete with the likes of Netflix and HBO in the production of TV shows and other types of content
- Amazon continues to build its distribution centre in Illescas, Toledo. Apparently, labour costs are much lower there than in Madrid, which explains the location of the centre
- French home improvement giant Leroy Merlin is having a tough time building its ecommerce strategy. Recent layoffs and changes could delay its strategy
- Valencia-based company Istobal is looking for startups to join its recent accelerator program, which mostly focuses on startups building solutions around cleaning
Tech and policy 💂🏼♂️
- According to a Spanish judge, TripAdvisor is not responsible for the comments and reviews posted on its site. The US company was accused by a Valencia restaurant of allowing fake reviews to be published
- According to Spanish union UGT, last mile delivery platforms save up to €168 million by not treating riders as employees
- Members of Bank of Spain and the Spanish Bank Association requested "fair and symmetrical" regulation of big tech companies
Interesting reads 🤓
- FM radio is still a big thing in Spain, but not so in the rest of Europe. El Confidencial looked into it and the transition to digital
- A new study claims that if you study math at university, there's an almost 100% chance that you will find a job in Spain
- Andreea Petre (Carts Guru): 'Why Barcelona is the place to scale your startup'