Jobandtalent expects to raise €40m. Glovo acquired Polish business for €30m. Miguel Arias investing lessons learned.
August 31, 2019 • Issue #177
Even the most complex sign-up flows can be built with our two-way communication forms. Forget about building the UI, coding your form backend, creating frontend and backend validations, avoiding spam, integrating apps, etc we take care of everything for you.
Start embedding your sign-up forms in as many pages as you want and scale your user acquisition campaigns. Try it now for free!
Startup funding news 💸
- According to La Informacion, Madrid-based Jobandtalent expects to close a new €40 million round in October
- Madrid-based foodtech startup Wetaca raised€420,000 from Bewater Funds. Bewater explains the investment in this post
- Barcelona-based Home rent management platform HolaHome raised€300,000 from Gia Gia Innovacion
- Agritech startup Agerpix raised€270,000
M&A activity 🎊
- AmRest Holdings sold Polish food delivery business PizzaPortal to Glovo for €30 million. AmRest was already a shareholder of Glovo, and as a result of the transaction it will increase its stake in the Barcelona startup. If you're interested in the topic, Sifted published an interesting article about Europe's food delivery wars, featuring Glovo
Investor & accelerator news 🚀
- Miguel Arias, Global Entrepreneurship Director at Telefonica, published '10 things I've learned after investing in 50 companies', an overview of Wayra's investment activity in the past few years. For those who can't read long posts, he also published his thoughts on a Twitter thread
- Nodriza Tech is a new venture builder out of Zaragoza
Startup news 💡
- According to a study by Mobile World Capital, there are more startups in Madrid than in Barcelona (I personally doubt it) but Barcelona-based ones raise in total more than Madrid's (that's for sure)
- Barcinno published a list of 10 inspiring social startups from Barcelona
- MasMovil's co-founders and executives recently spent€750,000 of their own pocket in the acquisition of company shares. OkDiario talked to CEO Meinrad Spenger about the move
- In another great transparency effort, talent hiring startup Manfred published its revenue numbers for July
- El Pais profiled Flamingueo, a Valencia-based ecommerce startup that sold €553,000 worth of goods last year
- Startup profiles: GoPure (food information), Mo ndo (travel insurance), Vasquiat (fashion ecommerce), Rithmi (health hardware), LifeSeeker (rescue operations), Appentra (code parallelization)
Big company news 🏦
- Xataka published an overview of Bizum, the money transfer service created by several Spanish banks: 'With Bizum, Spanish banks achieved what telcos were not able to do with their own Whatsapp: to create and launch a product before an outsider did'
Interesting reads 🤓
- How various Spanish freelancers and writers use Patreon to sustain their careers
- Samuel Gil (JME): 'Plain Vanilla Unicorns' - Samuel has also started publishing a weekly newsletter about building, scaling and investing in tech companies. It's called 'Suma Positiva'. If you're interested in the topic, you should sign up
Podcasts of the week 🎧
- En.digital interviewed me