Returnly raises $19m. Kantox and Exoticca close venture debt financing. Spanish cannabis startup gets acquired.
July 7, 2019 • Issue #161
The Saas Institute ayuda a startups B2B a implantar procesos de ventas escalables, medibles y predecibles.
hora lanzan nuevas fechas en Mayo y Junio de su Bootcamp sobre Outbound Sales para B2B en Madrid y Barcelona. Darán las claves para construir un proceso que permita a empresas SaaS generar oportunidades de negocio de calidad.
Reserva tu plaza y encuentra todos sus programas disponibles aquí y consigue un 30% de descuento utilizando el código Novo2019.
Startup funding news 💸
- Returnly raised $19 million from Craft Ventures. The company is based in San Francisco, but has engineering and product offices in Madrid. TheVentureCity (previous investor) participated in the round and explained the reasoning behind their investment in a blog post
- Kantox closes €5 million in venture debt financing agreement with Silicon Valley Bank
- Spanish travel tech startup Exoticca has landed €2 million in venture debt from Harbert European Growth Capital. This brings the total amount of financing raised by the startup to €5.5 million
- eSports training platform Gamestry raised €300,000 from various business angels, including Didac Lee, Pablo Zubicaray, Heiko Rauch and Ot Vila
M&A news 🎊
- Canadian company Canopy Growth acquired Spanish cannabis startup Cafina. Terms of the deal were not disclosed
Investor & accelerator news 🚀
- Barcelona-based startup studio and investor Itnig published an in-depth overview of Barcelona’s startup ecosystem
- El Referente put together a list of 15 accelerator and incubation programs that are right now looking for startups
Startup news 💡
In May and June and in Barcelona and Madrid, The SaaS Institute is putting together a series of workshops about outbound sales for SaaS and SMB
- Barcelona-based Glovo created a 20% stock option plan for its current directors and employees in the company’s last financing. La Informacion has the details
- El Referente interviewed the founders of Zeleros, a Valencia-based startup that’s designing and developing new technologies for a more sustainable and efficient transportation of people
- Fintech roboadvisor Indexa Capital now manages more than €180 million from clients
- Valencia-based Energy startup to launch its services in the Canary Islands. The company has close to 20,000 clients and is growing at 2,000 new clients per month
- Susana Voces, former managing director of eBay Spain, named Global Vicepresident of Restaurants at Deliveroo
- Barcelona-based startup LactApp featured by Sifted amongst Europe’s coolest femtech companies 2019. The company says that 1 out of every 4 mums in Spain use their app to feed their children
- Marketing4Ecommerce profiled Frankie the King, a Vigo-based startup that’s building a DNVB (digital native vertical brand) in the dog food space
- El Confidencial featured edtech startup The Power MBA. The company says that it’s looking to raise funding and claims to have surpassed the 8,000 student mark
- Rika Christanto, COO of Ontruck, talked to StartuScc about bringing digital innovation into the llogistics and supply chain industries: ‘There is massive potential to Lleverage technology in the transportation of goods’
- Five Spanish millennials that have created fashion brands explained to Business Insider why going retail also makes sense, with their own stores
- Travel startup Smartvel signed a partnership with Indra’s Mindsait to power part of its technology
- Kraving Kitches is a new ghost restaurant startup based in Barcelona. The company focuses for now on Mediterranean and Vietnamese dishes
¿Eres un Python Developer con ganas de introducirte en el análisis de datos? ¿Tienes experiencia diseñando e implementando microservicios?
En 360 Talent están buscando al mejor talento en python para incorporarse en una potente startup del sector de healthcare, que tine presencia tanto a nivel nacional como internacional y que la revista Forbes considera un referente del sector. Las oficinas están en el centro de Barcelona y tendrás también flexibilidad horaria y posibilidad de teletrabajar, así como un salario altamente competitivo.
Si quieres unirte a un equipo joven y motivado, no dudes en apuntarte a la oferta aquí.
Big company news 🏦
- Beverages company Estrella Damm to spend more than €10 million in its digital strategy
- Mercadona says that it plans to hire 200 software engineers and is willing to pay up to €70,000 in annual gross salaries
Tech and policy 💂🏼
- Interesting letter published by the Hector Merino, head of a Spanish association of riders, requesting better protection and flexibility for riders of Glovo, Deliveroo and similar platforms. Merino is not requesting for riders to be considered employees of the companies, but to have more flexibility and protection while maintaining their freedom. Carlos Gutierrez, president of Spanish union CCOO, published an answer to Merino’s letter
- Francisco Polo, currently Spanish Secretary of State for tech matters, was interviewed in Expansion. He says that there needs to be a better fiscal system for startups, but provides no clear measures that they plan to make
Interesting reads 🤓
- Spanish startup Chicisimo interviewed AI expert Andres Torrubia: “Deep learning is the single reason AI is in the news today”
- In Spain, one in every five people between the ages of 10 and 25 suffer from behavioral problems related to video games, cell phones and other digital devices
- José R. Pérez-Agüera (Director, Product & Design, e-commerce at Mercadona Tech): ’How to solve cartonization for e-commerce groceries using Machine Learning’ & ’Some tips and tools to build an organisational culture based on data’